heaven on their minds

• TMV World Legacy Member

I recorded this on my laptop mic about a month ago. I have an idea of what I would go back and change if I did another take but I would like some feedback on it. I know my tone is spread to far at certain points and it can get to be grating. It's a challenging song for me. I can't bridge as high as most of the people who sing it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43014170/heaven%20on%20their%20minds.mp3

I'm singing along to a midi I found X)

Actually, my impression is this is how this song would sound if sung by Axl Rose. The only thing I could suggest is a little more breath push, like you did on the high stuff. However, the conversational tone you had over most of it was really neat, though. Which made it sound like you were relaxed. Keep that relaxed feeling. It will serve you well.

I don't know if Axl Rose is the direction that I'm aiming in or trying to aim in. I understand that he has a naturally low voice so in a way I identify with him as a singer. I just don't really like his sound that much. It's not the rasp, he just sounds too light. He doesn't produce a big/rich sound, although I understand he sang relatively loud in the beginning of his career. I know that it's possible to get a heavier, dark sound with the same placement but it's hard to do consistently. I get what I want in a couple places in the song. There are also just vowels I wish I'd done more vertically.

Have you heard Queensryche's cover?

No, I have not, S. I did not know that Queensryche covered the song.

Axl Rose is actually a bass who has been able to sing in 3 ranges. Granted, his high end was usually quite different than his low end, but that's what happens when a bass is singing tenor range. But he sings a nice clean, high note in "IRS" on Chinese Democracy.

Wow. Now I have.

Two wrinkles I had not thought of. A baritenor singing the role. And with a heavy metal arrangement.

Sweet. Thanks for bring that up.

Of course, now, I'm going to have to record it, whether it's fit for public consumption, or not.

Have fun with it, anyway, rofleren. Yeah, we can all practice and improve, and should. Just remember that singing should also be for the expression we feel.

Archived