false squeeze?

Rate this topic

masqutti

I just thought.. I don't know perfectly the anatomy and mechanics happenings inside the larynx. But is there a "secondary" way to squeeze? Or that would feel like the "real, right way of adducting" to receive the powerful tone. I realized that If I'll be really soft volumes the adduction is really soft, and feels like i'm only squeezing the "tips of the cords together". It's pretty fragile feel, and doesn't tolerate much. But I get some adduction with this soft way, adding some "chesty resonance" so it's "ok"

I realized when I sing louder, I add somekind of squeeze to it. Can those be a muscles that constrict cords!? Those are still inside the larynx, or somewhere there. But they feel like a different mechanism happening. Some pro's plz answer! :)

I've been having a problem, where I feel that i don't have tension in my neck/jaw or anything. Still, after singing louder for like 5 mins I get my folds go cracky and lose my voice. Can it be that I use some muscles that I shouldn't use to squeeze and hold cords together, and it squeezes so much that it makes my cords swell or something and make this crackiness?

So, to "ensure" this, can I(you) adduct with this superlight feeling I have on really soft volumes(even less volume than speech) so that I can sing loud with it too? It feels really safe and nice, but is it the way, to somehow "build" the muscle strength to that coordination, so the same muscles works with this soft volume as well as louder volumes!? Is this "secondary squeeze i feel to have during loud singing unnecessary and harmful?

As I mentioned I don't have any other tension and constrictions, so this is only thing that comes to my mind, so i've been somekind of manipulating some muscles to enforce the closure/adduction to happen in order to sing louder!?!?

- masqutti

What you probably are feeling are specific narrowings above the vocal folds which creates a compression chamber(s) similiar to the mouthpiece of a trumpet. This enhances the volume significantly and is the right way to do it! But you can also do it the wrong way (which you probably are also feeling) where the whole pharyngeal wall squeezes around the vocal folds preventing them from vibrating freely and therefore can make you sound crackling/hoarse.

PS. It's NOT possible to "feel" your vocal folds, so what you feel is probably these narrowings - both the good ones (which optimizes your voice) and the bad ones (the ones that have you cracking up and loosing your voice). :)

Ok! Thanks for answering!

hmm is this "unhealthy" excess squeezing that squeezes whole thing surrounding cords and everything, just the same thing as this "healthy" narrowing, but just "too much", or is there a way to "unlock" and release the bad things, so they are separate muscles, and leave the good ones squeezing properly..? Oh my voice takes it all, I've have had to unlock every bad tension separately, and seems that all of the available ones are activated! :D

- masqutti

Well yes, you can say that the correct "squeeze" is the one that is controlled and the bad one is the "uncontrolled/too much". But bottom line is: It NEEDS to narrow but it's how you do it! Of course it's all related so support and the choice of vowel etc. also plays a major role. :)