Modern Rock Distortion

Rate this topic

Overdrive

Hey I'm new but I have been reading various threads of the forum hoping to answer this question and while I couldn't find it out by myself I found that a lot of you are very talented and I definitely think you could really really help me! :D

I am really hoping to be able to do a technique used by my favorite band Rise Against in mostly every song. It's a distortion singing kind of thing but I can't do it. My favorite example is the chorus of this song:

Tons of other bands use this technique as well obviously, this is just one example. Anyway now I can do what I think is False Chord screaming where I basically release a lot of air and roughen it but it sounds very metal and not modern rock/punk. Also some of you may be surprised by this but I can also sing like James Brown for the chorus of "Get Up Offa That Thing". It still isn't like what I actually want to do but I'm thinking maybe I just need to tweak that? I need some guidance.

Another thing is that I also have tried singing higher pitches pretty loudly and then adding more air but then it always become whispering/airy instead of distortiony. I've tried avoiding that but it seems very difficult.

So this is my situation, any help is really appreciated

Sounds like distortion made by the false folds. Not to be confused with by many call "false cord screaming", where I think there is little actual NOTE beneath the distortion (used a lot in death metal). In this song there is an underlying melody and not just distortion. The basic tone (especially in the chorus) is fairly thick and powerful and shouty. A good way to start experimenting with this is to increase your twang and intensity more and more until rasp appears. Also, moving the back of your tongue slowly backwards and upwards really helps. Then it's up to you to choose the ratio between noise and sound you want, how loud (or soft) you want it to be and wether you want to keep a very light, twangy sound color, or darken it slightly. Search for "distortion", "rasp", etc. on this site and check out vocal products like CVT, The four pillars and Raise your voice. Btw. James Brown uses a very similar method to get his rasp. You can use the false folds to get a huge variety of different distortion sounds, actually, so it's probably the best way to sing with rasp.

My 4 cents.

Sounds like distortion made by the false folds. Not to be confused with by many call "false cord screaming", where I think there is little actual NOTE beneath the distortion (used a lot in death metal). In this song there is an underlying melody and not just distortion. The basic tone (especially in the chorus) is fairly thick and powerful and shouty. A good way to start experimenting with this is to increase your twang and intensity more and more until rasp appears. Also, moving the back of your tongue slowly backwards and upwards really helps. Then it's up to you to choose the ratio between noise and sound you want, how loud (or soft) you want it to be and wether you want to keep a very light, twangy sound color, or darken it slightly. Search for "distortion", "rasp", etc. on this site and check out vocal products like CVT, The four pillars and Raise your voice. Btw. James Brown uses a very similar method to get his rasp. You can use the false folds to get a huge variety of different distortion sounds, actually, so it's probably the best way to sing with rasp.

My 4 cents.

Where are the false folds?

Just above the vocal folds (also known as "true folds"). Which leads to something important: When you do rasp, try to place the sound above your vocal folds, i.e fairly high in the throat. That may or may not help you, so try it out. You see, people can have different sensations for these type of things. And don't forget to put emotion behind the distortion.

Awesome! I'm glad I finally have distortion down a bit! The only problem I have is that I can't really do my favorite thing which is that chorus to the song I posted at the top (Prayer of the Refugee). I think part of it is that I'm having trouble doing those high notes (even though I can clean sing them quite easily) and also I don't think I have the right distortion tone? What do you think

Also to raphaels I am kind of like you I had to learn this mostly by myself and I think something that helped me was imitating a dog barking. I did that as a kid because I thought it was funny but I'm pretty sure it strengthened my false chords or something. Also when I personally do the distortion the way I would describe it is my chest/diaphragm seems solid and the sound is kind of like a whine except more.