Everyone needs to watch this inspiring video!!

Rate this topic

Nathan

I've just re-watched this video. I saw it just over a year ago and it honestly changed my life. As singers, we sometimes get very down about our own abilities (well, I certainly do). I saw this when I felt so bad I told everyone I had quit. School was over, I had no band, no obligation, I just walked away.

Or tried too...

I'm fortunate enough to have some very caring and wise friends. One of them, my best friend Lewis, is a professional guitar player. After appealling to my ego for a few minutes, he told me to watch this video. It's called The Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. The speaker is a man named Randy Pausch, who at the time of the recording, had approximately 5-9 months to live due to liver cancer (as he explains in the opening of the video).

This isn't one of those 'feel sorry for me I'm dying' thingies. This is, for me, purely inspirational. He isn't a singer, but what he talks about can be applied to almost anything in life.

It's quite long, longer than your average youtube video. I remember when I first saw it I only intended to stick around for the first 10 minutes or so. Before I knew what had happened, I was 1 hour into it. I have a really short attention span, so that's quite impressive.

Anyway, enough of the life and times of Nathan, here is the video.

Some of you may have possibly seen this already. I dunno if it was popular in America or anything, but here in England, nobody has heard of it. If you had already seen it and were expecting some brilliant new video, sorry to get your hopes up.

I've seen the video before but from another camera angle.

Yes, we all must carpe that diem. You live once. And you are never too old to rock and roll. As I have said, singing is mental and the only person who holds you back is you. It is that simple and it is the hardest thing to overcome.

What stops most people is not a physical skill that can be learned, such as proper breathing, tongue position, or elevating or lowering the soft palate. What stops them is what they think about themselves, the sounds they make, the sounds others make, their aesthetic consideration (that was too nasal, that was too breathy, that was too brassy, ad nauseum.) That is all mental. The hardest thing to change is not your breathing, adduction, resonance, diction. The hardest thing to change is your mind.

I've seen the video before but from another camera angle.

Yes, we all must carpe that diem. You live once. And you are never too old to rock and roll. As I have said, singing is mental and the only person who holds you back is you. It is that simple and it is the hardest thing to overcome.

What stops most people is not a physical skill that can be learned, such as proper breathing, tongue position, or elevating or lowering the soft palate. What stops them is what they think about themselves, the sounds they make, the sounds others make, their aesthetic consideration (that was too nasal, that was too breathy, that was too brassy, ad nauseum.) That is all mental. The hardest thing to change is not your breathing, adduction, resonance, diction. The hardest thing to change is your mind.

All 1000% true. There's always tons of technical talk here, and that's great for sure, but the mental aspect is so damn crucial.

My biggest hurdle with singing early on was self-consciousness. I never had a problem playing instruments in front of large crowds, but singing was an entirely different matter. I felt naked, and the idea of any criticism was terrifying. Your voice is YOU. So, it's hard not to take it personally.

Unfortunately, it took enduring a lot of tragedy for me to snap out of it, and say to myself "you know what? After all of this shit, how big of a deal is singing in front of people, anyway??"

It seemed rather miniscule in comparison, and I eventually started singing in front of a family member, then two, then three, then a friend, then more friends, etc. It was a gradual "opening up" process, and I implore anyone who ever faces this problem to do the same before tragedy inspires you.

Excellent post, Validar. I, too, have had tragedies in my life. After a certain number of people had died, I just quit fearing death. Plus, as my mom would have pointed out, I have no shame.

As for singing, I was watching a performance vocal coach who was talking about the issues of stagefright. First issue, stage fright is centered around yourself. You are worried about people think about you. The proper focus is to think about them.

Second, and it is still astounding to this day. Believe it or not, audiences (dsyfunctional family members aside) are not there to hear you fail. In fact, when you sing a well-known song, they WANT to hear how are going to sing this or that particular note. Your audience is already believing that you can do it. All you have to do is catch up with them.

my speech therapist recommended this book to me. i was told where i see the word "tennis" i substitute "singing." i'll let you folks know how it is.

the innner game of tennis by timothy gallwey

Videohere, interestingly enough, you don't actually have to substitute 'tennis' for 'singing'. Timothy Gallwey linked up with a classical bass player and wrote 'The Inner Game of Music' (ISBN 978-0-330-30017-9)

I have it, I recommend it. You can get it cheap on amazon.

I also recommend you guys check out 'Effortless Mastery' by Kenny Werner. I learned about this book in an interview Myles Kennedy did. If Myles Kennedy recommends something, as a rock singer, you bloody well read it! :D