Singing Success

Rate this topic

richardtai

Hey,

So how many of you guys have done/completed Singing Success? My friend has it and never uses it, so I thought I'd give it a try (again). I say again, because I had attempted it before, but I couldn't really do much without guidance, considering that I didn't know what I was doing was right or not.

If you guys have done it, care to help this beginner along the way? :)

RT.

Hi!

I've done it like 4 first cd's or something, it was pretty along time ago, but it sure is a great program to practice alone.

The thing that actually disturbs me, is that well, there are those "pro's" doing the backingtracks, singing the scales etc. I remember they sing pretty much loud, that's way too much at start. That can alone decrease the development at first. Like the range, going up to the whistlevoice etc. Needs really low volumes at first, so you can enter it etc. So, do the excercices really softly at first. relaxed.. enjoy that thing if possible :)

At least I got at the very first attempt great results.. You'll feel it as you do if it goes well or not.. In a fact maybe I should come back to that thingy, it's always helpful to do those excercices. I never succeeded in those tongue trills tho, they just seem to tense my neck and I guess that's not the point :S

I use SS too. I didn't have problems with any of the exercises at first, but it was just because I did them too lightly. When I started adding more weight to the nays as I should, I couldn't do them consistenly, but now I'm ok with them. It helps using the edgy exercises from a couple of CD's ahead before doing the Nays. Btw, they're meant to be constricted. Nays supposed to forcefully close your vocal cords by using a high larynx. Then you counterbalance them with mums.

Really? If I'm right, Nay's are using the pharyngal connector - that "Nggg" sound, but I can never seem to get into head voice with it, I always end up pulling up on chest. In fact, I can't even tell if my lip rolls are connected. :/

• Administrator

The "Nay, Nay, Nay" vocalizes is used to induce compression or vocal fold closure and yes, it also is used to bring on a "kinda"... soft pharyngeal sound. Its a decent Pharyngeal excercise, especially for beginners. SS training can prepare you for a decent foundation for vocal training that is more advanced from other systems... that take you further and more aggressively into 'unbalanced' vocal modal configurations.

Hope this helps.

It helps alot, thanks Robert. As for now, my main goal is to become an amateur singer - just doing it on the side. Hopefully, when I reach that goal, I'll be able to go all-pro. I feel a long and perilous journey ahead of me.

i tried SS but i didn't quite "get it" without live instruction and couldn't do the exercises w/ out the larynx rising which he puts a lot of emphasis on - overall found it kind of frustrating. i like the warm ups though, so i use it for that on occasion. I like the "Pillars" program from Robert Lunte and Per Bristow's program.

Hey i started with SS and loved it, I did each CD ten times before I moved on to the next one....then bought Jaime Venderas program, and hurricane Ike flooded us and delayed my starting his program. Getting close to starting his stuff now though, and will do Robert Luntes and Ms. Cross' after that :) Ancora Imparo...:)

hey robert! what's new w/ me is that i just moved to new jersey (my husband's job...). anyway, haven't had much time to practice singing lately except in the car :( It's not quite the same as practicing on your stage, but it's all i can manage right now. the good news is i think i've finally gotten my voice out of my throat (yes, i know that took a long time) and it feels a million times better.

have not gone through all the pillars as it took me a while to really grasp the basic coordinations but look forward to getting back into it when i'm more settled here! hope all is well w/ you.

I'd say that if you have good basic knowledge of the voice and how to practice, then Singing Success is great for working with your voice on your own. I've done the first 4 lessons so far, and I think it really helps with vocal cord closure and practicing the upper registers (especially headvoice and mix).

I've gone through 2 years of professional education in musical theatre, and efter that I've done James Lugo's Vocal Asylum for about a year. That program helped me open up my higher range, giving me an extra octave of full voice (I used to be a basso, now it's anything from bass to first tenor). Now I'm doing both VA and SS, and together I think those two programs are perfect for my voice - where VA gives you more of a more chesty belt and SS gives you smooth transitions into headvoice.

There are some advantages to the SS program, and limitations. If you're a person who naturally knows how to take it's chest up and maybe does it too much at some points, SS might easily learn you how to balance that out through the exercise tapes. If you're a person who lacks any headvoice freedom, you might gain this too.

As for those who struggle w chestvoice, this is where the program is gonna help you the least, there are other programs available free and non-free. However nothing beats a good one and one and allthough you might spend a couple of hundreds on lesson, it's beter to start realising the sooner = the better. Those lessons will give you a roadmap so to speak, and if you practise with attention to the needs you have you'll advance.

The one downside I would say with SS is that it seems to create a feeling with people that notes are important [over the quality of them]. What I mean is that tons of users of SS would spend their time trying to get notes way above high C and sometimes double high C, while their main priority should be chestvoice -_-

Aloha all, I'm new to TMV, this is my first post here. For background I'm pushing the half-century mark, and trying to get some semblance of a passable voice to be able to record demos of my own, mostly Hawaiian language, compositions. I did perform in a duo for a bit in the late-80s, early-90s, but never cared for the sound of my own voice back then and trying to get over that through dedication and practice using this program.

I picked up SS about a 7 weeks ago, been working with the exercises religiously with only a few days off during that time. I haven't experienced any strain or soreness so hoping this is a good sign I'm doing things correctly. About a month ago I had one Skype lesson with one of Brett's associates, Jesse Nemitz which went pretty well.

I strugged with the "nays" a bit as well, until going back and re-listening to the instructional audio, and narrowed the vowel, vocalizing more of a "neh" sound, and dropping my jaw as I moved through the bridge. Same with the "yeah" exercise becoming "yeh". I also realized that I was still using a lot of chest as I moved up. What I noticed, thanks to a post in here, was that a lot of the example recordings were done by folks that seem to be very well trained and getting a fuller voice that I was able to generate through the break. I stopped trying to "sing" the notes and produce more what I felt was a speech level, and it made getting through that area much easier. It's a very light sound still but it felt like a small victory.

Through most of the exercise, I found that when I ran into problems or a "ceiling", that I was still trying to sing as I used to, worring about the fullness of the sound, and when I did as instructed, going more speech level and narrowing vowels, I saw immediate improvement. It seems to be very much a process of breaking myself of bad habits.

I am intrigued by Elrathion's discussion of SS not being as useful for developing the quality of chest voice, and this has been a concern. I had one other SLS lesson a few years ago and most of what I've read seems to focus on expansion of range. In doing the exercises and working through the chest range in them, I've noticed a significant improvement in my tone, resonance and pitch accuracy. It's been my assumption that even though it wasn't explicitly talked about in the program, that the chest voice would be strengthened through the exercises. Perhaps not. I'm more concerned about improving the quality of the range I have and expanding it modestly than I am with adding an octave to my range, as the program advertises.

I'm having more issues with the "mum-mum" exercise with vibrato (end of lesson 3). While I'm getting to Ab-Bb through most of the exercises (lip rolls, tongue trills), I'm barely getting through D and Eb with that, and even worse when I try to do the first actual song application - the Star Spangled Banner at the end of lesson #3. While I've added from a minor to major third in my range in going through the exercises, it doesn't seem to be translating to actual usual range in vocal performance. Of course I realize I'm still very early in this process, so hoping to see results in that area and am not getting discouraged yet.

If any of the esteemed denizens of this group note anything above that doesn't seem right, please correct me! I have no delusions of hitting anything above male high C, at this point I'd be happy with a clean G. Though in my youth I could hit a good E-F above male high C in falsetto, my assumption is that those days are long gone and am not deluding myself into thinking they're coming back.

Mahalo (thanks) again to all of you knowledgeable folks for sharing your expertise here. It's a delight to see so many people with such a ride range of opinions on various techniques coexist for the benefit of all.

Aloha Mr. K,

I'm curious about what Jesse took you through during lesson. I'm thinking it should NOT take you any time to hit a clean G(vocalising.)

I can COMPLETELY relate to old/bad habits getting the way. I really do think it is MUCH harder for people who have a ton of "experience" ...to shift away from the old and pick up new techniques. I can absolutely NAIL most exercises...but as soon as I am in front of a crowd, it's like BOOM, right back to the old way.

I am quite shocked at how HARD it has been(for me) to really get a handle on REAL APPLICATION of technique.

As for SS...definitely not enough "wiggle room" vocally for my taste. Covers about half of the sounds I need to make in my line of work.

Aloha Analog.

Being my first lesson, Jesse took some time to talk to me about my background with vocal performance and my goals, he ran me through a lot of the exercises that I had done in the two weeks leading up to the session with him, as well as some that I came across later, in order to gauge where I was. My biggest issues I pointed out above - trying to use too much of a resonant, full voice when moving through the bridge, not narrowing the vowels and dropping the jaw, getting louder as I went higher, and not using a dopey enough sound on some of the exercises. A lot of it didn't sink in immediately, I think for a while I reverted to old habits, and going back to re-listen to the exercise descriptions on the CDs a few weeks later helped me quite a bit.

As far as the clean G, I have no problem getting to Ab-A-Bb in most of the exercises, but not in actual song performance. I've touched C on occasion but not consistently. I'm just at the point in the program where application in song begins, and am struggling with that. Jesse had suggested that when I get to this point in program I'd probably need to meet with him again. I think he was right.

For what I want to be doing, I've heard SS students and teachers providing a wide enough range of sound and tonal variety for me. Good luck with your work!