Need help with upper register.............

Rate this topic

YoungBass

So what soon be almost learning to sing for 2 years it's going fine xD. I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of my upper register. But it's still heinously difficult.

I can now sing up to G consistently and because of that it's opened up my choice of repertoire. ^-^ But the songs I truly want to sing, go up to A and above. A constant high note I hear is a high Bb and before I leave High School I would love to be able to even strain that high in a full voice. Does anyone have any tips or sound clip examples to show me what I should sound like singing classically and just regularly (contemporary)?

Here are two songs I learned (sort of) so you can hear where I'm at:

http://www.box.net/shared/5501746ght

http://www.box.net/shared/cmj2e45u90

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can now sing up to G consistently and because of that it's opened up my choice of repertoire. ^-^ But the songs I truly want to sing, go up to A and above. A constant high note I hear is a high Bb and before I leave High School I would love to be able to even strain that high in a full voice. Does anyone have any tips or sound clip examples to show me what I should sound like singing classically and just regularly (contemporary)?.

Hi, YoungBass!

I listened to your 2 songs, and was struck immediately that your site handle is misleading. You are not a Bass :-) Your voice is high baritone, or perhaps even tenor. :-)

Your voice is very pleasant, but the top is a bit shouty. To my ear, you are allowing the vowels to spread too widely, and not allowing your phonation to lighten as you go up. The result is a little pushed top, and it will not extend up much until you learn better technique.

Two things I recommend at this point:

1) do some soft but clear vocal slides without 'supporting' at all -simply no pressure, from the Bb the 9th below /middle C, to the Bb above middle C, on an /i/ (ee) vowel. The transition to top voice happens lowest on this vowel, perhaps for you about D or Eb abpve mid C, where you should let the vowel ease toware /oe/, much like an /i/ with slightly rounded lips. If you want, you can do the exercise from bottom to top on the /oe/ if you want.

2) Sing a hexachord - six note scale, starting on the B below middle C, on the /o/ (oh) vowel. Perform this lightly but clearly, dwelling on the top note a moment. Transpose the exercise up by semitones, until the top note is F, using the same vowel. As you conntinue to transpose upward, shade the vowel of the top note slightly toward /u/ (oo).

All the best.

O thank you so much for responding and helping me out (sry I forgot to check my topic xD).

O these are great exercises to really get my curbing under control so I can have a more plaintive tone.

The reason I was shouty was because I was singing musical theater in the first clip and Opera in the 2nd (or at least attempting to anyways)......

I didn't really darken my voice like I usually do because I hate the way I sound in close up recordings sounding too dark. I have a cheap mike if you didn't guess.

Anyways I'll post another clip of me singing after I've practiced the exercises for a good while........u know.....see if I'm getting the hang of it.

Attack of the mask is the answer to everything. If you know the resonance mask, you are good to go. That helps you to do everything else.

Hum your songs and go back singing them with the same feel inside the head/face. Once you get the hang of it, you quickly improve but it does take a while before you understand where your mask are. For me, when I get sidetracked and drawn away from singing for a week or so, it takes me about 1-2 wks before I can get back to my mask again. Do not expect to improve overnight unless you're an advance and know what you're doing.