Dumping the larynx

Rate this topic

D.Starr

Just feels easier said than done.

I've read a book that VIDEOHERE suggested, doing exercises with inhaling on a yawn and holding that sensation to use whilst singing. But keeping the larynx that low as I progress higher up a scale just dampens the sound and I sound more like an Opera singer than a nice light heady voice I would like. The larynx doesn't always stay down either, it jumps back up the higher I sing.

Now I have 4 pillars and Rob talks of dumping the larynx as you go higher, it just isn't working out that well. I've tried making the sound a lil more dopey and adding a cry but then that just chokes me up around F4, G4.

I'm thinking of taking internet lessons with Robert, but thinking about the time difference it would be hard to find a happy medium.

I'm also thinking of doing some pharyngeal workouts to help ease it all up.

Any ideas?

Just feels easier said than done.

I've read a book that VIDEOHERE suggested, doing exercises with inhaling on a yawn and holding that sensation to use whilst singing. But keeping the larynx that low as I progress higher up a scale just dampens the sound and I sound more like an Opera singer than a nice light heady voice I would like. The larynx doesn't always stay down either, it jumps back up the higher I sing.

Now I have 4 pillars and Rob talks of dumping the larynx as you go higher, it just isn't working out that well. I've tried making the sound a lil more dopey and adding a cry but then that just chokes me up around F4, G4.

I'm thinking of taking internet lessons with Robert, but thinking about the time difference it would be hard to find a happy medium.

I'm also thinking of doing some pharyngeal workouts to help ease it all up.

Any ideas?

d, when they speak of a lowered larynx, they are speaking in terms of lower as opposed to higher. if you drop too low, especially without twang, yes, you will get a deep, dumpy, overly covered sound because you've lowered the frequency by lenthening the vocal tract.

also, if you drop too low, you actually end up doing what you don't want to do, putting tension on the laryngeal muscles you want to relax.

in rob's method, twang is mandatory.

go and read guitartrek's recent post about formants and frequencies. there it is better explained.

again, this ability to prevent the larynx from rising (of stabilizing the larynx) comes in time with consistent practice. the whole idea is to be able to phonate with a relaxed, open throat (not something that will come overnight).

OK awesome, now I kinda understand. Rather than dropping the larynx and holding it there, it's when the larynx is high up in the throat that the larynx must be dumped slightly from it's high position to a more stable position.

Just finding it really hard to not slam the larynx high up in ma neck, singing through the passaggio is hard. This cry/hold is proving hard to find.

If you lightly feel your larynx while you sing scales or sirens, you can feel the difference between raising, lowering, and tilt. Tilt as you get higher is manditory... I try and keep my larynx just slightly below where it sits normally. I find that I do not engage my swallow muscles when I do that - But I still engage them when singing a song... Mainly because I need to devote more time to it.

OK awesome, now I kinda understand. Rather than dropping the larynx and holding it there, it's when the larynx is high up in the throat that the larynx must be dumped slightly from it's high position to a more stable position.

Just finding it really hard to not slam the larynx high up in ma neck, singing through the passaggio is hard. This cry/hold is proving hard to find.

singing through the passagio (both up and down) consistently well takes work.

the reason your larynx shoots up is because you are engaging the swallowing muscles when you sing. you have to work more to divorce yourself from doing this. as you get stronger, and gain more control of the larynx you will develop this ability....again, it takes time and exercise.

all of those goog, gug, mum, exercises all help nicely. you want that relaxed, open throat.