open throat vs. SLS

Rate this topic

mivison

wow, that's an interesting question....

sls and others such as tvs, cvt, kvt, are brands of singing technique analygous to brands of televisions.

at the root of all these techniques is open throat singing. open throat singing is (i.m.h.o.) a requisite skill for great singing.

i ask because i have bought S.S.(brett manning) and KTVA. SS never mentions open throat. kens lessons seems to revolve around it. so i thought there was a big difference.

as a side note, ktva has done me much good. i've only been singing seriously for 3 years. so this stuff is very new to me.

i ask because i have bought S.S.(brett manning) and KTVA. SS never mentions open throat. kens lessons seems to revolve around it. so i thought there was a big difference.

as a side note, ktva has done me much good. i've only been singing seriously for 3 years. so this stuff is very new to me.

mivision: IMO, there are two reasons that SS and SLS do not emphasize the 'open throat'... 1) trying to do it can increase tensions when those pedagogies are trying to release pre-existing tensions, and 2) the 'open throat' is associated with classical singing... and most people that take on SLS or SS are not looking to sing classically.

However, that does not mean that SS and SLS are not trying to create an open, tension-free vocal tract. They are just getting at it through the exercises rather than the concept.

However, that does not mean that SS and SLS are not trying to create an open, tension-free vocal tract. They are just getting at it through the exercises rather than the concept.

is TVS more like SS or KTVA?

Anyone is certainly welcome to correct me but even though one is often prone to say styles are similar in the interest of industry politics, I see some differences. Either in approach or, at least, in nomenclature, what Robert Lunte calls talk-track. The esoteric terms of a system to describe the action taken or the sound produced.

Just limiting to the two choices you offered, SS or KTVA, I would TVS is closer to KTVA but with an important difference, right off the bat. In TVS, you bridge into head voice sooner. That is, you should be mostly if not all head voice by the time you reach a G4. You make to G4 sound thicker or boomy with intrinsic anchoring (part of the talk-track.)

What is TVS similar to, in general? That would be a different question. It is quite similar to the methods of Maestro David Kyle (RIP.) It is similar to classical technique but this does not mean that studying TVS will make you sound like Pavarotti or any other well-known opera singer or art song singer. Unless that is your interest, in which case, the practices will help you.

It also should be noted that practicing TVS will not make you sound like Robert Lunte. Or Geoff Tate. Or Anne Wilson. Or Layne Staley. Or Randy Loran (who sounds a lot like Geoff Tate.) Just as practicing KTVA will not make you sound like Ken Tamplin. Raise Your Voice will not make you sound like Jaime Vendera or Robert Plant (two similar voice types.)

Studying the techniques of Roger Love will not make you sound like Mike Love from the Beach Boys.

What should be key, for me, anyway, is that whatever system you work with, you should not feel undue strain in the throat. Granted, you might feel a little tired after using muscle coordination that you're not used to. Some instructors majorly advocate resting a day or so between bouts of venturing into new territory. Which totally makes sense from a muscle toning standpoint. When toning muscle (I know this from bodybuilding and I used to butterfly 110 lbs with cast-iron free weights), it can take up to 48 hours for muscles to repair. In toning, this means the muscle tears down and rebuilds denser, not bigger. Also, it is better to practice something correctly for 20 or 30 minutes instead of 3 hours of the wrong thing.

So, the key thing is not how hard you work, the key is patience. Building a habit takes time and there is no way around that.

To me, open throat means no constrictions.