Is It really neccesary/productive to train for breath capacity?

neugie92

Just because you aren't having any problems, doesn't mean than you cannot improve in an area. I personally have never come across lung capacity as a particularly crucial exponent to singing, as generally, you shouldn't be filling your lungs all the way up when you sing. However, if your overall lung capacity is bigger, then the smaller amount of air you take in to sing would be bigger, which could prove beneficial. At the end of the day, it won't hurt you to try some practice in this area, and even if you don't notice any difference in capacity, it may help you figure out and refine some of your other breathing techniques.

i read the book and went through the exercises. they helped me a lot.

here's a great analogy.....if you drive a 4 cylinder car and an 8 cylinder car up the same exact hill, both will get to the top, but the 4 cylinder car's engine will labor a little more going up than an 8 cylinder car's engine will.

bigger lung capacity and stronger breathing muscles (i.m.h.o.) mean more output with less effort.....more reserve capacity. the stronger the breathing (or better yet the more conditioned) breathing apperatus, the more control, the more control, the more dynamics.

it's not about capacity, it's about efficiency.

To some extent, I think, any singer can use some breath management training. Granted, some people, because of the way they have learned to speak, don't have enough breath capacity for a held note. But, more importantly, I think, is the training of the coordination of what to do with the breath, and when. You don't actually need a lungful of air to sing a long note. But you will move a certain amount of air. The trick is how much and when.

Other times, one can have diminished capacity or function due to an ailment, such as respiratory response to allergies, influenza, common cold, or environmental pollutants. Arlo Guthrie requires no smoking during his performance when he is performing in the small venues he now plays. Kind of interesting side note. He started playing in pubs and coffee houses. Got famous for a while, and is now back to playing the 200 seat venues. And is quite comfortable with that. Sorry to digress.

Archived