Techniques to get better volume out of lower notes?

Rate this topic

Goggalor90

Sorry about another topic so soon, but I've been practicing my lower range this week, and found my bottom note without fry, which is C#2. Now, I can get a lot of volume out of the D2, but my C#2 is kind of quiet. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any exercises for lower bass notes.

Adding more twang is a good way to add volume to your lower notes, believe it or not.

Yeah I did some experimentation last night, and I found singing the C#2 on an "ahh" vowel made more twang and more volume. I also learned to keep my head straight instead of practically trying to touch my chin to my chest ha.

I'm working on similar stuff, and the best thing for me so far has been to watch al green and smokey robinson VERY closely - two dudes that almost never dip down into straight speech-like chest voice. If you try to do impressions of both of them, you'll notice that the big thing they have in common is sort of a "bubble in your throat" sound/feeling... like you've got a big empty space back towards your uvula. I think it might just be twang and a raised soft palate, but it'll harden up your sound nicely. You might sound like a cartoon the first few times you do it, but keep messing with it.

raph, b.t.w., i'm a huge motown and blues fan. buddy guy....like his sound?

I'm working on similar stuff, and the best thing for me so far has been to watch al green and smokey robinson VERY closely - two dudes that almost never dip down into straight speech-like chest voice. If you try to do impressions of both of them, you'll notice that the big thing they have in common is sort of a "bubble in your throat" sound/feeling... like you've got a big empty space back towards your uvula. I think it might just be twang and a raised soft palate, but it'll harden up your sound nicely. You might sound like a cartoon the first few times you do it, but keep messing with it.

I think adding twang is what worked for me last night. On D#2 and below, my "ahhh" is very dark and resonant, now I just need to carry that down to the C#2 and I'll be good ha. I still regret losing my ability to hit C2 though.