High Chest Voice "Ahh" Vowel & Whistle Range

Rate this topic

Kuroneku

How is everyone? I can't wait to see how good this Forum is ;)

Let's jump right into this.

Well, just like everybody else I started at some point with my singing.

I was not very good of a singer in the beginning and did not even understand simple concepts, while having like a 8 note range perhaps. My highest chest voice note used to be an F4. I did not even know how to use falsetto back then.

Now after years of research, hard practice & experience, I've got a pretty good range with a very clean, nice sound to my voice. My chest voice ranges up to D5-Eb5, but that is about my maximum. My falsetto range goes up to D6.

The problems that I am having are following:

My high chest voice notes, starting at G4 and going to 5 octaves, started to sound failing on the wide open"Ahh" vowel. But I could sing even a C5 PERFECTLY on an "Uhh" for example.

I think I started to adapt a wrong technique on that wide open "Ahh" vowel =/

Are there any tips on warming up the "Ahh" vowel good?

What exactly makes the "Ahh" vowel so much harder than other vowels on high chest voice notes?

The other problem, or question, that I am having is:

What is the best way to start learning the whistling range? I don't want to try and try while damaging my voice or anything.

Thanks for readying my paragraph's, and I hope to hear from you guys.

Kuroneku, may i ask, "ah" as in "eight"? I am curious to know because i have a problem with this vowel, i try to modify it to something like "father" but it doesn´t sound good. When you mean chest voice, you mean a head voice with thick folds, right, curbing or mixed voice according to some?

Best way is to post clip on what you mean, by reading what you wrote im guessing you are singing in à curbing mode. Wich kindo relies on the vowel uh o i up in the highrange.

Whistlerange is in My mind best developed by doing light slides in falsetto/head keeping the volume down or light staccato exercises. Although whistle is mainly à gimmick to use for fun and is very Hard to use in à live setting if you also plan on singing any heavyer types of singing like rock. :)

If you are going to do a pure ahh as in father. Your support needs to be very good. And you need to think the sound up and back. Practice using uh as in book. Then drop that ah in there. And whistle can come with time practice high falsetto starting with a vocal fry then into the note. I've taught several students this way it's very quiet,. if you try to hard it hits a ceiling it doesn't come over night

Hope this helps

Hit me up if you need help

Www.danielformicavocalstudio.com

Daniel

What exactly makes the "Ahh" vowel so much harder than other vowels on high chest voice notes?

ah (as is "father") up high is harder (if not the hardest) than the other 4 four basic vowels because it requires the most chest voice musculature (ta) participation. as you ascend the scale using "ah" you will get to the point where you need a release valve to release the weight of the chest register and allow you to transition into your head register. that "release valve" is a vowel modification.

but here's the most important point..

the vowel modifications have to be worked out for every note and every vowel and a shade selected by the singer per your particular voice. that's where a teacher, or if you're a diy'er, experimentation has to be done.

generally speaking, when you're moving into let's say a b natural and up, you're going to be shading more towards "uh" as in put. but it's subtle, not that you sing "ah" then turn over to "uh. it takes practice.

hey guys i just threw this together because we are talking about it

listen to it notice how only the resonance makes it a little louder i'm not straining and Im not letting go of the chest connection. I could have been fancy and did it over and over or edited but I wanted to be live and off the cuff. I could create more connection just by standing up and going for it a little more. There is no effort here especially where everyone speaks of passagio on f# and g and ab listen to those. They are done very relaxed.

I hope this helps

Daniel

www.Danielformicavocalstudio.com

Be nice

Great voice, in My understanding is That vowelmodifications is needed when your are going for diffrent types of vocalsetups then the one your using.

Vowelmodifications is great for example if one wants to sing superchesty, instead of lightening as one goes up.

Great voice, in My understanding is That vowelmodifications is needed when your are going for diffrent types of vocalsetups then the one your using.

Vowelmodifications is great for example if one wants to sing superchesty, instead of lightening as one goes up.

jens, vowel modifications seem mandatory to me once you move up past your break. almost seem like an acoustical fact, but they can be so subtle as to be unnoticable. just my opinion.

Video my point is basicly if you sing with little ta activation up high cvt(neutralmode) you wont need any modifications. The more ta activated the more modifications Will be needed, for example edge,curbing overdrive all modes who have preferred vowels in the middlerange.

Video my point is basicly if you sing with little ta activation up high cvt(neutralmode) you wont need any modifications. The more ta activated the more modifications Will be needed, for example edge,curbing overdrive all modes who have preferred vowels in the middlerange.

jens, just my opinion, but it seems even singers who think they aren't modifying are actually doing some kind of subtle adjustment. it can be so subtle though, a mere shade.

Yes all vowels eventually merge, but That isnt until very late in the range. Im basicly talking about C4-D5 the breakarea and some notes higher.

And in That area and even higher using a neutral mode all vowels can be used. But yes things can always be taken to the extremes.

for instance when taking neutral higher apropriate vowels for flageolet tension should be considered.

Yes all vowels eventually merge, but That isnt until very late in the range. Im basicly talking about C4-D5 the breakarea and some notes higher.

And in That area and even higher using a neutral mode all vowels can be used. But yes things can always be taken to the extremes.

for instance when taking neutral higher apropriate vowels for flageolet tension should be considered.

is middle c defined by you as c3 or c4? i know that can differ depending on where you're from.