What am I doing wrong!?!?!?!

Rate this topic

MariFreakinA

:mad:

I have been singing for over a decade, and yet I feel like my technique is still so off!!! I am a mezzo-soprano, and it just seems that any warm up I do whether it is 15 mins long or 30 mins long I always feel like my vocal cords are being strained. I have been to so many teachers and they all have told me that I don't have a breathing problem, however, while I am singing my higher notes I feel like I am deliberately pushing too much air to get out the higher notes and in turn that is causing the vocal strain. It is really making me frustrated because I feel like since I have been singing for so long this shouldn't be a problem. However, after I vocalize I feel strained and I often times will have a semi-hoarse voice and then singing a regular song becomes a problem. I try to keep my head and shoulder relaxed but I still feel like my body is creating unnecessary tension and I'm just not aware of it.

Also, does anyone know any really great vocal coaches in the Jersey area that could maybe help me? Online advice is great but I would really like to have a teacher that could maybe help fix this problem. I know this isn't a site based in Jersey, however, if anyone knows someone please let me know!

Glottal compression is just holding your breath, not letting too much air put pressure on the larynx. I'm breathing in at the stomach, my chest isn't moving, and even in the longest phrases, my stomach isn't sinking much at all. Next phrase/breath is just a little more air on top. If its your body that's rigid as hell, you can bend over, do a Stevie Wonder impression, anything to stay loose. You're probably just pushing too much air, instead of holding your breath.