Anyone know what the pros are using to get autotune live?

neugie92

I can't comment on hardware options though I believe they exist. However, one option would be running the vocal through a common PC or MAC with real-time auto-tune software such as Antares Autotune. I know for sure that this particular option can be achieved in real time in a performance scenario, however the sound outcome, in my experience, is that sort of cheap RnB/Poppy sound you hear on the radio. I think that to get the kind of subtle pitch correction which is on almost ANY popular record of recent years, that requires the more indepth tweaking with a tool such as Melodyne.

It sucks when you start hearing the autotune in your favourite pop songs which aren't "meant" to have that effect.... :'(

Nuegie, I know that Mr. Big is using Voicelive2 Rackmount. There's a video on TC-Helicon's site where they're talking with their sound gal. Might be what you're after. I would think it'd be really weird to have your AT going through your monitors (especially in ears) and hear your voice come out of you one way, but come back at you another. Haven't tried AT though I've used on of TC's harmoniziers which is fun toy.

There's a big ole banner that shows up in this forum for Lampifier. And even a section for in to forum for either on-board effects mics, or a stomp box thingy that is both pre-amp and effects. Don't suppose that could be happening.

And, as I said before, and will probably again at some time in the future, I could swear that Vince Neil was autotuned live on the "Carnival of Sin" tour. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last.

It should also be noted that autotune will not fix a truly bad note. It will tweak a note that is a few hundredths from even relative pitch, which still has a leeway of (I forget) maybe 1/100ths to either side of "true" pitch.

Archived