"uh" singers

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hi folks,

ever notice how there are some singers with an underlying "uh" (as in "put" or "book") in their vocals.

let's say the difference between guys like michael bolton and jon bon jovi? these singers like bolton have that characteristic "uh."

a. do you understand a word i said?

b. do you know what that's attributed to?

I'm an "ah" as in paw singer. It sounds better for me to modify towards "ah," and it makes high notes easier. "Uh" probably accomplishes the latter, that is, making high notes easier to hit. Maybe he uses it on lots of notes for consistency?

:cool:

From what I've heard, a pure Ah vowel flattens the tongue, tempting it to go down the throat, which you don't want. I'm not sure if Jon Bon Jovi is a good example of a guy who sang few Uhs in the high part of the voice, though. He was definitely twangier than Bolton.

Do you mean uh like tummy? I think book would be oo. I've never thought of this before, maybe you could make this a thing; write a dating/relationships book called "He's an uh, she's an oh: How your singing voice affects your love-life" and make millions! :D

oh sorry folks, bon jovi is one example of a singer who does not. listen to this video of micheal bolton.

as you listen you you hear how "ah" as in "father" is almost nonexistant in his singing? it's almost as if he discovered a vowel shades that lean toward more heady vowels "oh" "uh" "oo" and that french vowel that sounds like the word "ohm." it's a very non-speech level sound.

you don't really hear "pharyngeal cry" it's kind of operatic....bono is kind of like this too. elvis comes to mind...definitely early lou gramm too.

so you say to yourself, maybe there's something to favoring shades within those heady vowels? experimenting with shades of "uh" as in "put" and that "ohm" vowel.

i'd be curious to know your thoughts...bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIFctcCRJOE

At a first listen, Michael Bolton seems to use Oh vowels somewhere (they're pretty loud and resonant) and some Uhs in other spots too, I think. Very good singing from him in that clip. He seems to have kept in good shape for many years.

At a first listen, Michael Bolton seems to use Oh vowels somewhere (they're pretty loud and resonant) and some Uhs in other spots too, I think. Very good singing from him in that clip. He seems to have kept in good shape for many years.

but there's something to be said for the type of tone you get from this way of singing.

this to me is one awesome-sounding tone. i can't wait till i'm better to try using this kind of shading. it's so hard to explain but i hear "oh's" and "oo's" inside their "ee's" and i remember frisell exercises developing that tone before i got grounded with this polyp.

if you listen carefully you can actually feel the ascent into the head voice resonators.

in this video he's clearly got that heady resonance going on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm_Kp3o_htE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL141C9B6B113AB1EA

I was wondering if you might like to check a band called Foreigner. They have this really flexible singer named Lou Gramm.

Sorry, I was powerless to resist.

As always, an excellent example of how it sounds like it should be done.

exactly, and "oo" too.

so what i'm trying to get at (and having a bitch of a time explaining) is the sounds aren't constricted because they never are allowed to tilt out through the mouth but are continuously and skillfully sent back and up, back and up, back and up (or up and forward) all the time with an open throat.

so if you are really trying not to constrict or squeeze you pass the air through in the shape of a question mark. so if i'm making sense to you folks this is a major issue because if the consriction and squeeze is reduced or eliminated the effort drops and you have no where else to go but to the lower core.

am i making sense?

Yup.

okay, you say "yes" so why aren't many of us doing this? i am convinced now that to sing really healthily (a big concern of mine lately) a little head register has to be in each note we sing. get the voice out of the throat. don't squeeze. don't pull up weight. get the resonance to make the sounds.

now i'm not saying sing light and heady.

consciously study your own voice to ultimately reduce the effort. this is my next course of action once i heal.

I think the uh vowel is a bit sneaky (and therefore probably a very great and useful tool), because it can sound very close to eh, oh and ah.

When I listen to a lot of my favourite singers, I sometimes catch them singing high notes in what sounds like curbing but the vowel doesn't fit, for example it might be EH. Do you think I'm identifying the mode incorrectly, or can some people do this? Or maybe the vowel is closer to UH than I realise?

I can try to find an example if you like.

okay, you say "yes" so why aren't many of us doing this? i am convinced now that to sing really healthily (a big concern of mine lately) a little head register has to be in each note we sing. get the voice out of the throat. don't squeeze. don't pull up weight. get the resonance to make the sounds.

now i'm not saying sing light and heady.

consciously study your own voice to ultimately reduce the effort. this is my next course of action once i heal.

And the clouds part, and the sun shines, and the angels sing, "Aaaaaaah-meeeeeeeen"

No, the angels singing was not a demonstration of my point, though i like your thinking on that. No, the angels were singing to rejoice in your hard-won wisdom.

yes, i'm starting to really figure out exactly how the voice is supposed to work. it's not what we initially think or feel.

sadly, it took a polyp to bring me the answers.