Which of the top metal screamers do warm ups and vocal exercises?

Rate this topic

jonpall

Hi, I was wondering if you guys knew which of the most famous metal screamers of all time (like David Coverdale, Steven Tyler, Chester Bennington, Sebastian Bach, etc.) do warm ups and vocal exercises?

I'm sure some of them don't do much of it at all, so I would think that the ones who DO will have the longest careers.

I got the idea for this thread when I heard that David Coverdale had to cancel his current tour due to severe throat problems:

http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=4FC150D2-BF3F-49DA-B9A0-ADBAB3A12448

So I'm wondering if maybe he does warm ups and vocal workouts and STILL gets voice problems, just because he's singing so high and hard all the time? Maybe you can't prevent voice injuries from happening no matter how well you take care of your voice, if you sing with that much energy?

Maybe all metal screamers are doomed to have a shorter careers than, say your average pop singers?

• Administrator

Its hard to tell who does warm ups, but its pretty safe to say, that those that have a clean tone with strong head tones... not necessarily distorted, probably do warm ups. They semi-occulate, get bridged and stretch out their twang configurations. Great range, clean tone... thats a sure fire bet of someone with training and thus, will likely be doing semi-occulations and sirens before extreme singing.

Even if your going to apply top down distortion, you still have to establish a clean foundation.

• Administrator

No, Metal screamers are not doomed to vocal problems... no way. Im a metal screamer. I scream 15 hours every saturday and then some... Im not hurting. Its all about technique, if you sing with proper technique, you will be ok. It is too bad that people want to conclude that because metal is aggressive it might lead to damaging your voice. Its not the genre', its how you use your voice.

I got the idea for this thread when I heard that David Coverdale had to cancel his current tour due to severe throat problems:

http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=4FC150D2-BF3F-49DA-B9A0-ADBAB3A12448

So I'm wondering if maybe he does warm ups and vocal workouts and STILL gets voice problems, just because he's singing so high and hard all the time? Maybe you can't prevent voice injuries from happening no matter how well you take care of your voice, if you sing with that much energy?

Maybe all metal screamers are doomed to have a shorter careers than, say your average pop singers?

Yeah, Robert screams at me all day at our lessons. :D

I am one of his problem students. I'll tell you this. The techniques he teaches have not produced any problems with my voice. I had a previous stint with a vocal teacher and I never felt good after my lessons. After I have started to train the TVS way I don't feel any problems with my voice. Now, I don't sing all day long but I can definitely tell a difference if you have proper technique.

• 2 weeks later...