frustrated

Rate this topic

Shrike123311

okay so. I'm able to go into my mixed voice fine; but I can't figure out whether or not my G is supposed to be mixed voice or not. I'm used to belting it and having it feel really heavy.

But even more than that, I feel like I can slide smoothly into head voice from chest voice but I have no idea how to support it. I always end up in a really loud, scratchy, unsupported head voice, or my voice cracks and loses pitch.

It's like, I can't feel the notes once I hit G#, I have no idea where to push the air from.

Any ideas? D:

Been there, done that. In fact, I'm still there and still doing that, lol. But I can tell you what has helped me so far. Adding cry to your head voice adds depth (whatever is actually happening physically.) Also, raising your soft pallette (which I think is accomplished by "smiling" inside your mouth) helps to bring more life to the tone. That's what I've figured out so far, through the help of this forum, of course.

:D

okay so. I'm able to go into my mixed voice fine; but I can't figure out whether or not my G is supposed to be mixed voice or not. I'm used to belting it and having it feel really heavy.

But even more than that, I feel like I can slide smoothly into head voice from chest voice but I have no idea how to support it. I always end up in a really loud, scratchy, unsupported head voice, or my voice cracks and loses pitch.

It's like, I can't feel the notes once I hit G#,

Any ideas? D:

don't "push" the air. send over a sample. if you are a tenor, e4 or f4 is the likely sticking point.

Tenor? I am far from it. I've been told that I'm a lyric bass/standard baritone from some of the other students at my school.

So this clip here is what happens when I go upward. I slip directly into headvoice, and have no idea how to get any type of support for it.

bearing that in mind, I also get this scratchy sound when I feel any type of weight to my head voice. So... yeah.

linkage; http://uppit.com/tnfixe5vatef/exampleclip.mp3

sounds awful btw.

And it sucks because with my chest voice, I can sing anything (withing my range of course) pretty decently fluently.

I can ascend into my mixed voice, but it too sounds airy. But there's a distinct fullness there as opposed to head voice, that's how I know it's my mix.

Tenor? I am far from it. I've been told that I'm a lyric bass/standard baritone from some of the other students at my school.

So this clip here is what happens when I go upward. I slip directly into headvoice, and have no idea how to get any type of support for it.

bearing that in mind, I also get this scratchy sound when I feel any type of weight to my head voice. So... yeah.

linkage; http://uppit.com/tnfixe5vatef/exampleclip.mp3

sounds awful btw.

And it sucks because with my chest voice, I can sing anything (withing my range of course) pretty decently fluently.

I can ascend into my mixed voice, but it too sounds airy. But there's a distinct fullness there as opposed to head voice, that's how I know it's my mix.

can i get the link to this song?

How do I add "cry"? I've heard a lot about that. Also, do you have any videos on youtube of you singing periphery songs? You look exactly like one of the peeps I saw there that actually did an awesome job.

I think you're mistaking me for someone else, haha. But to add cry you just sing, and then sing like you're crying or about to cry; that's the basic idea, anyway. The tone will take on more depth and become "dopier." This is something that, like other techniques, you have control over how much you use and the color of the technique, so it takes some practice to incorporate it into you voice. By no means am I a master of this technique, but my head voice has gone from terrible hair metal singer to sounding a bit closer to chest voice. Good luck.

When I was a kid, we'd play with gi joe dolls, etc. As such, invariably, the adventures would end with one of the dolls getting shot and falling off the edge of the armchair in slow motion. We would do a siren as he fell, starting high pitched and ending when he hit the ground, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. " I dont know if anyone knows what I mean by this, but sirening that way adds a natural, slight cry for me, which keeps my chords together.

about 2:14 in and 4:20 ish

Not the best - but other live versions are badly shot or overlayed.

thanks stew.

okay shrike....well it sounds like you got a an e5 flat to hit on the word "know."

that my friend is up there for a base baritone, tough note. it may be you're just not ready for it yet in terms of development.

you may need to develop more adduction consistency and coordination up that high. there are exercises and all to help.

but if i had to sing that note and that word as a tenor, here's how i would approach it:

the words are "to know." always look a word or two before the main word as that can serve as a launching pad for the note of concern.

the pure core vowel sounds in "to know" are "oo" and "oh"..right? a pure "oh" is virtually impossible to hit up that high without constricting and splatting, but if you shade (modify) the "oh" vowel a bit more to an "uh" (as in "dumb") with an open relaxed throat, get the palate up (yawn configuration, lower larynx) and narrow the mouth just right, you'll release tension and drive the tone back and up into the upper resonators.

so i might shoot for more of a "tuh nuh" up that high you are less concerned with pronunciation, and more concerned with resonance and reduced effort.

the "n" is actually going to help beef up that "uh" as well.

but that's me. you might need to shade to more of an "oo" for your "know."

i should also mention you need to thin the folds yet support the tone by taking the effort to produce a note like that with the lower core muscles.

does this help?

sometimes you just have to face the fact, like i said before, that you may currently lack development in certain areas.

like for me, keeping the larynx from shooting up took a long time to fix.