Help Please!

Rate this topic

Keith

I have a show tonight, and I have a sore throat with some phlegm build up. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the phlegm, and also being able to make it through the show? I think we are only playing for an hour...

I drink water and tea literally all day every day lol. Inbetween breathing of course. I'll chomp on some lemon and see what happens. I have 8 hours to get rid of it lol. Thanks man!

keith, invest in a steamer. mabis makes the best one. i swear by steaming. it's part of my therapy for the polyp.

• Administrator

I'll "second" VIDEOHERE.... STEAM, STEAM, STEAM ! Take the steamer with you backstage as well and use it at every opportunity that you can.

For future reference, you may wish to consider purchasing some of David Aaron Katz' products (Superior Vocal Health) particularly Vocal Rescue, and Throat Saver. I swear by his products !!!

>>> http://www.superiorvocalhealth.com/

I wish you the best at your performance !!!

~A~

Dayquil. It's non-drowsy and will give you some clear air for a while.

As I have worked in construction, whenever I had a cold or something that was producing phlegm, I would keep a bottle of Dayquil on me and drink it right from the bottle.

When you work by the hour, you "suck it up" (military expression, no profanity intended, please, forgive me) and keep on working.

Well, I can't afford a steamer right now - won't get student loan $ will March! But, I did drink a ton of water and a ton of tea - then at the show I drank 2 jeager bombs and during the set I drank half a gallon of hot tea lol - There were no stage monitors so I was screaming just to hear my self resonate! But, I did not loose my voice! They actually had to trun down my vocals in the FOH PA because they were overpowering the band LOL.

So, next time I play a show at a little bar with only FoH PA, I'm bringing my own monitors and solving that problem lol.

keith, you can always boil a pot of water, throw a towel over you head and inhale the steam from the boiling water. another thing you can do is carry a fine spray, spray bottle filled with water. spray into the throat or into the nostrils.

Hahaha, yes FOH systems .... One learning curve had (for you now), although in the 80's / 90's is was easier then!!!

Never trust the in house PA ... Never know what you will get - Best thing (if the band pays well) is to get own PA. Your own choice then to either monitor use or in-ears.

Well done for making the show though, seems like you did ok (baring the PA). As for the pot of water and towel idea, Remeber that (very well) ... Kettle just boiled, in bathroom steaming with some Vics vaporub in the water too. Nothing like that to clear out the system.

Over the years, the sprays have come along, the old Chloraseptic's of the world help(ed) out (Note: - one of many sprays!!). Although the "old" bands (90's) used this a little too frequently & we've all sucked Lozenges over time.

Well done on the Gig.

Stewart

Also based on the two lower posts - yes don't advise 'continued' use at all (hope that wasn't implied), and that was all back in the 90's :P. There is newer stuff on the market, however ... these "sprays" are kind of skipping over the 'when' should singers sing / not sing I.e. singing with laryngitis, pharyngitis vs. phlem (as on this post). But nothing like the old Vic's Vaporub and steam (which would be my preference).

• Administrator

WHOA !!! No disrespect intended, but you want to avoid the Chloraseptic or any other products that numb the throat/vocal folds. Persistent use may cause you to inadvertently strain your voice without realizing it, causing damage to your instrument ! Sure, I use Chloraseptic at times when I have a sore throat, but NEVER while singing....

Also, drink your tea(s) at lukewarm or room temperature. Speaking of tea, have you tried the Vishudda teas yet ?

Great products !

~A~

I have tried them! I am out, and I use throat coat more often anyway. I can't get enough of that stuff! I do not like the feeling of chloraseptic and numbing stuff.. And it tastes bad lol. I think the next thing I buy will be a steamer thingy and some of those throat spays that are sold vicariously through this site. Oh, and some in ear monitors lol.

Keith - you should try VocalZones pastilles. I've tried a bunch of different sprays, and I also hate chloraseptic. The vocalzones are the best for me. Gets rid of the phlem and keeps the throat hydrated. They are licorice based and licorice is known to be excellent for the voice / throat. I always use these during a recording session no matter if I'm sick or not because they keep your throat hydrated and clear.

• Administrator

Keith,

Great choice with the Throat Coat teas. Personally, I can't use it due to hypertension issues as a result of my ever existing pain levels. However, Throat COMFORT works very well for me. Not many differences in the ingredients, but there IS something in the Throat Coat that drives the BP sky high !!! I'm not quite sure what the difference is, as BOTH teas contain licorice root which CAN affect the BP. In fact, I carry a spray bottle of licorice with me everywhere without any "issues" ???

But for those serious "problems" I STILL highly recommend the products from Superior Vocal Health !!!

Good choice in purchasing a steamer. You can always add eucalyptus (essential) oil as well.....

GREAT to hear that your performance went well !!!

@guitartrek ~ Thanks for the tip about the "VocalZones pastilleses".... I decided to place an order and check them out :cool:

~A~

Keith..check out the steamers on amazon...relatively cheap....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nasal+steamer

:)

the mabis brand is the best. do not buy it from pro choice medical listed on amazon, unless you don't mind it coming without a shipping box. i really resented that they shipped it without inserting it into a plain cardboard box.

the mabis has the most versatility and features. the vicks one is overpriced.