Undersinging and change of scene

Rate this topic

srs7593

Ever since I moved in at my university I haven't been able to practice the way that I did at home and I think I've developed an undersinging habit when I do practice. I'm a voice/music business major and singing is a large part of what I do here. I can practice classical repertoire and choral music as I please. But the practice rooms here kind of suck if I wanna sing rock music. They're not soundproof at all and I get self conscious. So I sing rock music at an uncomfortably quiet volume. It's physically tiring and although it may be my imagination sometimes I think I can hear people outside snicker. With classical singing everything I sing sounds pretty. It's hard for me to go wrong with it. And I practice singing classical music by singing classical music. I don't care who hears me do it either. I sound like a good singer. Rock singing is challenging. That's one of the reasons I like doing it more. And I practice it by making comparatively disgusting noises and by experimenting. I also need to sing louder and higher. When I'm alone it's awesome but it's awkward to do in a practice room where you hear other people studiously playing their bassoon and piano repertoire. At home I could go into my basement and make whatever sick animal noises I wanted and laugh at my mistakes.

I'm trying to start a rock band so I can sing what I want to sing. It keeps falling through. But that's a whole other issue on a whole different forum. The only thing I can do is go into the practice rooms when there are less people in the building or sneak into the empty choral hall at midnight. Which is actually kind of awesome. But it's not as convenient.