What are the benefits in trying to increase your low range of falsetto

Rate this topic

neugie92

When im donig excersises like lip bubbles for example. When im going downscale while in falsetto should i continue to bring my falsetto down even if i can sing the notes comofrtably in full voice?

what are the benefits of this?

Frisell teaches that before the power and boomy quality of the chest voice can be carried into head voice, one must work the falsetto into chest voice.. I believe it is called "top down" training.. I have only half way through his tenor book right now, but it would be a quick read for someone that is not a law student like me lol..

I haven't done Frisell's method, but I find it hard to bring down true falsetto past a certain point. If I start in a light head voice (not falsetto) and descend and let head connect to chest very lightly, this has helped me "morph" between head and chest to creat a single voice.

neugie92: Yes, you should. The purpose of that exercise is to learn the mental approach and the sensations of crico-thyroid muscle engagement in the absence of thyro-arytenoid muscle engagement. The reason? The coordiated voice has both that sensation, and the chest voice sensation, at the same time.

Once you can bring that down to the D or C below middle C, you will be in a position to begin activating both sets of muscles at the same time in the mid range. That is what Frisell (and others very much before him) call the 'Blending of the Registers'. It feels a bit wierd at first, but you will recognize the 'falsetto' sensations present in the combined registration.

How does it feel? Individual! Its described variously by every singer. However, you will be able to tell in the coordinated phonation that it has both chest anchoring, and head connection. For me, it feels like my voice is a 'string' of energy, connected at the lower end by the anchoring of chest voice, and at the upper end (in the head somewhere) by the falsetto.

speaking for myself, one of the absolute best things i ever did was read that book and do those exercises. they're aren't hard to do and the effects were evident pretty quickly. my voice became more resonant and "spacious" in the back of the throat (yes, hard to articulate) but it's as if i carved out a channel to send the air up and back....these are just my sensations. i also now understand what they mean by the inhalation sensation.