STEVE GRIMMETT VOCAL GOD

Rate this topic

dr rock

absolutley breathtaking, you guys must watch this, the whole thing.

my all time favorite vocalist Steve Grimmett from GRIM REAPER!!

it doesnt get any better than this

why the hell dont i hear anybody talking about this guy!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDUKVUjencw

heres another kick ass song

rock on vocal brothers

Thanks for the clips. From a technique standpoint, this guy is singing with pretty high volume, right?

Maybe a stupid question, but I've heard the some singers don't actually sing as loud as they sound. But I'm pretty sure Steve Grimmet is not singing this softly in order to get that type of sound in this voice - am I correct?

If so, then I need to get my head voice to be louder with vocal exercises (like Vendera's stuff, f.ex.)

man i love steve grimmett and grim reaper. the first two albums are good with some classics on but rock you to hell is my favourite. better production and more consistent writing.

though from what i have heard of the steve grimmett band he cant really sing like that these days to be honest.

from the grim reaper stuff it seems he was another one of those metal tenor voices that didnt really have any bottom end and probably a naturally higher voice to begin with.

i would agree that he doesnt get mentioned enough!

Thanks for the clips. From a technique standpoint, this guy is singing with pretty high volume, right?

Maybe a stupid question, but I've heard the some singers don't actually sing as loud as they sound. But I'm pretty sure Steve Grimmet is not singing this softly in order to get that type of sound in this voice - am I correct?

If so, then I need to get my head voice to be louder with vocal exercises (like Vendera's stuff, f.ex.)

im not sure what you mean exactly but if you mean you have to sing loudly to sing like that then the answer is that you dont have to. for instance with those metal high screams you do not have to get louder to produce them (though i would assume this is harder to do with the slight distortion added-but once again this depends on how your producing that distortion), of course if you want to do them loudly thats up to you but you should have the choice. you have to remember that volume or intensity of the tone can be generated through resonance and harmonics not just pure volume/air blast.

man i love steve grimmett and grim reaper. the first two albums are good with some classics on but rock you to hell is my favourite. better production and more consistent writing.

though from what i have heard of the steve grimmett band he cant really sing like that these days to be honest.

from the grim reaper stuff it seems he was another one of those metal tenor voices that didnt really have any bottom end and probably a naturally higher voice to begin with.

i would agree that he doesnt get mentioned enough!

agreed, rock you to hell was the climax, it kicked serious ass.

and yeah hes not as good as he used to be :(

in his solo band he did a few iron maiden covers "aces high, 2 minuits to midnight, powerslave, number of the beast"

but i dont think iron maiden material is really his style, when he sings it it sounds....too low for him? yeah a little out of the norm.

haha this looks pretty modern tho and it kicks ass, check it out

not as soaring as the grim reaper stuff, but it has a good raspy badass dio things goin on

im not sure what you mean exactly but if you mean you have to sing loudly to sing like that then the answer is that you dont have to. for instance with those metal high screams you do not have to get louder to produce them (though i would assume this is harder to do with the slight distortion added-but once again this depends on how your producing that distortion), of course if you want to do them loudly thats up to you but you should have the choice. you have to remember that volume or intensity of the tone can be generated through resonance and harmonics not just pure volume/air blast.

Thanks for the answer! Check the last post in my other thread: "Distoring high pitch notes without getting too loud". I'll ask them same question here, because I think it applies so well here also:

Is it a correct assumption that you don't have to use as much volume on those high pitch screams if you use twang?

Many people here are saying that twang is the key to metal screaming and I'm starting to believe them after some recent experiments/vocal workouts of mine. Sorry to insist so much on this particular topic :)

have you checked out metal vocal teacher melissa cross' dvds. she's good at teaching that kind of vocalizing. it's really not as loud as it sounds. this guy is great, but i personally prefer vocalists with a more purer, cleaner tonality displaying more dynamics, range and phrasing. europe's lead vocalist was a good example, freddie cursi (remeber "sherriff") was great...his solo album was great too. again, just my opinion.

• Administrator

Melissa Cross does NOT teach this kind of singing at All Bob. She teaches extreme distortion (death/dark metal) stuff and does not focus on range, Bridging, connectivity in the head voice in any measure that would be related to singing such as Steve Grimmett? Melissa Cross and most of her clients are actually more contrarian to singers like Steve Grimmett and Freddie Curci. MC does not teach you to sing like this ... BTW guys.. Freddie is a member of TMV... go check him out.

Malicious Cross for proper bridging and clean head tones? No way...

Hey, thanks for sharing this! I'm still a big Steve Grimmett fan to this day. Well, I'm a fan of his vocals on the Rock You To Hell album specifically. His tone, range and expressiveness always blows me away. He was a big influence on my singing style when I began. I only wish I had any vocal knowledge back then. I probably did everything wrong and hearing voices like Steve's only made me push harder to get better.