Hitting a "wall" in very high notes

Rate this topic

steve95

I'm not sure if it is falsetto, head voice or whistle voice (it is a light, airy sound), but whenever I try to reach notes that are quite high, my voice feels like it is hitting a wall and the sound does not come out. The sound only happens to come out when I put some strain on my throat, otherwise all you hear is air coming out.

I always wondered, is this because of bad technique, or is it because I hit the end of my range? If it is the latter, than it's very disappointing as it isn't TOO high, however, seeing as most other males who are accomplished singers can reach such range, I am hoping that it is due to bad technique. If so, what could be the reason for this and how can I improve on it?

and just a reminder, i'm not someone who has a developed voice. although i've been trying for years, there have been no differences on my voice and it is terribly weak. Don't think I even have a half octave available to sing since I have so many breaks...

and just a reminder, i'm not someone who has a developed voice. although i've been trying for years, there have been no differences on my voice and it is terribly weak. Don't think I even have a half octave available to sing since I have so many breaks...

Hi, steve95! Welcome to the forum.

You've given some clues here, in your comment about 'breaks'. These are indicative of a general vocal technique issue, acutally a pair of issues at the same time: not allowing the muscles which change your note to make small adjustments note-to-note.

The exercise to help you develop this is very direct, to-the-point, and easy to understand: Slide between notes on a single vowel.

Most posters here call this a 'siren', and it is the preeminent exercise for provoking a smoother coordination of the vocal pitch control muscles.

Start in the middle voice, anywhere comfortable, and smoothly slide your note around indescriminately. That's right... indiscriminately. Just don't care about particular notes on the scale for a while. Just think about smooooooth, slow sliding. For the time being, its not necessary to take it particularly high, or low... just use the comfortable middle range.

Do the exercise for about 15 minutes a day... even in the car driving somewhere is fine... for a couple weeks, before you move on to the next stage.

Next stage: take that same slide, and begin to widen the note range... slide down lower, and slide up higher, doing both gently. The point is not volume, its coordination.

That will get you started. The higher stuff can wait a few weeks until the main part of your voice is in better shape.

Let us know how things are going!

I hope this helps,

Thank you!

By middle part of the voice, do you mean just at a comfortable place or are you talking about the notes in the mix register? And I need some more direction on the vocal tone I need to make... How is it supposed to sound and what is it supposed to feel like? And I'm guessing I can just experiments on the vowels, right?

Oh and can you also explain the "hitting the wall" feeling I have on the high airy notes?

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel like I'll start doing these wrong. :P

Thank you!

By middle part of the voice, do you mean just at a comfortable place or are you talking about the notes in the mix register? And I need some more direction on the vocal tone I need to make... How is it supposed to sound and what is it supposed to feel like? And I'm guessing I can just experiments on the vowels, right?

Oh and can you also explain the "hitting the wall" feeling I have on the high airy notes?

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel like I'll start doing these wrong. :P

steve95: A comfortable place. Don't worry about the tone, other than smooth slides. That's how it all starts. The rest is refinement.

Feel like? Like you are sliding your pitch around without a care in the world. Whatever vowel you want is fine.

The 'hitting the wall' is just a vocal break that you cannot get past with your current technique. Set that aside for a few weeks while you establish good pitch freedom in the easy part of the range. Later, you will extend the siren up into this area, and the preparations you did in the mid voice will help you get past the wall.

Steve - check out tony's 3rd video on this web page: http://www.vocalpower.co.uk/Videos.php

It is an excellent demo of what Steven is talking about with the Siren. Also - your voice is capable of developing a very wide range if you develop it properly. You are currently limited by your technique.