"It's Been a While" - by Staind Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

I love this song. Aside from the vocal portion mixed too loud, any critiques would be appreciated!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11182684&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

It took me two or three days of listening to really appreciate this performance. And it was worth the wait.

Kudos for singing with your own voice. And I could hear influences of not only the original singer but shades of Eddie Vedder, as well.

As for vocal mixing level, remember you are in a singer's forum. Some prominence for the vocals, here, is a good thing. In fact, I have heard some submissions that were obviously mixed and mastered by the guitar player because you could hardly hear the vocals.

Anyway, most of this karaoke back track stuff is expected to be scratch track quality, just to check the quality of the vocals. Commercial release mix can come along later.

Again, I specifically applaud that you didn't try to sound like the original singer. Instead, you sounded like Keith, an outstanding singer, in his own right. We already have a "Staind." We can always appreciate more "Keith" or "Drophead," which ever nombre you prefer.

I recently learned a method to give critique that's called the "sandwitch" method. First you point out something positive. That's the bottom bread. Then you point out something that could be improved. That's the stuff in between the breads. Finally you give another positive point, which is the top bread. I like it, so here goes:

1. Very good pitch

2. Sometimes slightly insecure, like you're holding back a bit.

3. Very good feel.

Thanks guys! As far as holding back, I do that all the time. I get so caught up not trying to belt out every song I sing that I hold back. It's gonna take some time break that habit I think. I find myself closing my eyes when singing and just getting into the "feel" of it all and I concentrate on that more than anything.. including pitch. Anyone else close their eyes? I was even doing that on stage lol. I wonder if thats a bad thing..?

www.drop-head.com

Hey man!

I looked through your other performances. What's not to say but you're doing rapid progress.

Here perhaps a little too much overhold - still a very nice feeling. If you want to keep the effect of "hoarseness" but with less hold in a more healthy way, play with vowels between Overdirive and Curbing.

It's really fine cover!

keep it coming!

regards

OMERTAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

That's a freakin' awesome performance.

Tone, pitch, character - everything. The held back bits really highlight the open bits for me, so I wouldn't call it a flaw.

It's pro grade with a proper mix, IMO.

That's a freakin' awesome performance.

Tone, pitch, character - everything. The held back bits really highlight the open bits for me, so I wouldn't call it a flaw.

It's pro grade with a proper mix, IMO.

Thanks!

www.drop-head.com

I find myself closing my eyes when singing and just getting into the "feel" of it all and I concentrate on that more than anything.. including pitch. Anyone else close their eyes? I was even doing that on stage lol. I wonder if thats a bad thing..?

Depends on the note. Steven Tyler tends to close his eyes on the highest notes. I think it's a function of the mechanics of muscle alignment to create the high notes. No, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's just a thing, not to be obssessed about. Just like, don't worry if you move too much or too little. I am reminded of the words of Geddy Lee (RUSH). He just sings and plays bass, though he thinks it must resemble a Busby Berkley routine as he steps to hit the stomp boxes for his effects. (of course, that intervew was back in the early 80's when separate stomp boxes were changed together. Nowadays, you can have a footswitch and tap it a number of times to change to a different setting.)

As for closing eyes, I had not really paid attention to how much I do it and no one hearing me live has mentioned it as a "distracting" issue. Therefore, I think it's a non-issue.

I think you sung it well but don't personaly like your vocie for this song, I guess I'm urban and have a different taste but I do think it's well sung, however I agree you could have goten more emotionaly involved in the song.

Archived