Throat/Neck tension

Rate this topic

D.Starr

OK, so when I sing low down I have no neck/throat tension, but as I go up the scale I find my neck really pulls in and my throat and neck tense up.

I can't seem to stop this from happening, I've tried multiple things. I don't get this tense/strain when I do lip bubbles, only when I actually vocalise and I feel this is what is stopping me from advancing with my singing.

I've watched multiple videos of my fav. singers singing live and their neck doesn't tense up when they sing.

Are there any exercises I can do to stop these neck muscles activating and hindering my singing?

light, connected sirens on "ng" or "hung" with good support will prevent strain and constriction in the throat.

try it.....do you sense how the throat and neck muscles feel disengaged?

light connected sirens on the consonant "v."

in fact, light, connected sirens on "v" is one of my primary voice therapy exercises.

as you do these, start to get a sense how you feel when you do these as these sensations are indicative of how you should feel when singing with a relaxed open throat.

those help me immensely.

remember the checklist:

good posture

relaxed, open throat (yawn configuration setup)

get rid of tension in and around the neck and throat

Awesome!

I'm getting tired of trying to get through my passaggio and hitting strain the neck and throat.

I've put practice of because of this and so I'm getting nowhere. I bought Four Pillars about a month or two ago and haven't touched it because each time I get to F4 and above I begin to strain, tighten up and shout.

I decided to try Mastering the mix again just for something a little more subtle, I know Pillars is a more athletic endeavour, but mastering the mix hasn't helped all that much AGAIN because the strain I get.

I have found some release with the edge staccato exercises, disengaging the muscle under the chin.

d, like anything in life, you get out of it what you put into it.

perhaps you need to revisit the basics?

posture

breath management

relaxed, open throat

minimize tension

warmup

if you straining anything at all.....stop!!

you are likely holding on to your chest register too long and or too tight. you may need a one-on-one with a vocal instructor to get you past this.

My posture is fine, I keep ma back straight, shoulders loose etc. Maybe I reach too much sometimes when I sing higher up.

I will admit my breath management could use work. I don't fully understand this diaphragmatic breathing. I cannot balloon my stomach like how I see Rob and others doing.I've tried appoggio and find it hard to keep my chest elevated at times.

Inhaling on a yawn helps open the throat up though.

I generally walk around buzzing like Rob recommends and lip bubbling all the time. When I come to the high notes I try to engage the hold like from CVT with the curbing format, but I think I may be holding it too much. I've experimented with the cry and I think I'm crying too much.

I'd love a vocal coach but I seriously have little money and getting a lesson with Rob would be hard with my schedule and time difference. All the local teachers are abysmal.

My posture is fine, I keep ma back straight, shoulders loose etc. Maybe I reach too much sometimes when I sing higher up.

I will admit my breath management could use work. I don't fully understand this diaphragmatic breathing. I cannot balloon my stomach like how I see Rob and others doing.I've tried appoggio and find it hard to keep my chest elevated at times.

Inhaling on a yawn helps open the throat up though.

I generally walk around buzzing like Rob recommends and lip bubbling all the time. When I come to the high notes I try to engage the hold like from CVT with the curbing format, but I think I may be holding it too much. I've experimented with the cry and I think I'm crying too much.

I'd love a vocal coach but I seriously have little money and getting a lesson with Rob would be hard with my schedule and time difference. All the local teachers are abysmal.

patience my friend, it all takes time and dedication...you will get there if you keep at it.

b.t.w., never reach or strain for a note. learn to "allow" a note. in time, several years perhaps, you will become aware that high notes sing just as easily as low notes when you do it right.

don't understand something? can't afford a teacher? read articles from well known instructors, watch videos from the same, learning today is so much easier because there is so much information available for free! take advantage!

if there's a topic such as breathing you feel you need to work on perhaps just studying a bit will benefit because you'll read and hear the different author's explanations and compile a ton of references.

but no one is going to hand to you. it's based on how much you want it.

dig?

if there's a topic such as breathing you feel you need to work on perhaps just studying a bit will benefit because you'll read and hear the different author's explanations and compile a ton of references.

but no one is going to hand to you. it's based on how much you want it.

dig?

This. If you don't have the possibility to get lessons then you'll have to beat your head against the wall and try to work it out for yourself. Welcome to the club :D

This. If you don't have the possibility to get lessons then you'll have to beat your head against the wall and try to work it out for yourself. Welcome to the club :D

but there's so much good information on the internet. you just have to find it.

however, nothing comes close to actual one-on-one lessons especially if you are just starting out.