may i offer a posting suggestion?

Rate this topic

VideoHere

hi folks,

like all of you, i really love being a member on the forum, and learning by asking and answering questions, but do you think it might be a good idea if we all post a little less in terms of the amount of questions per post?

the long winded, multi-question posts take a lot of time to read and answer, don't you agree? maybe we can just scale it down to one or two questions per post?

naturally, we don't want to discourage posting, but i'm sure you'll agree that some of these larger, multi-question types can be a bit time consuming to reply to.

what do you folks think? should we consider a general rule of a max of two questions per post?

I duno, I literally find this the ONLY useful forum for support and answers (I actually can't find any other singing forums that are active and post alot, other than SS) so I try and cram as many questions in as possible.

I have this website and the CVT one bookmarked and the CVT forum is dead a dodo.

This is a reason I personally ask so many Qs.

Sorry, Bob, but the mind goes where it goes. Or where you just bored one day and decided this was an "issue"?

bad ron, bad ron ... man, I was doing so well, keeping my mouth shut, busy life and work keeping me off line.

Oh well, it's been nice knowing you guys ....

• Administrator

You know, Bob is just trying to tell people that if they want help, they need to be mindful of the more experienced posters time. While I agree we cannot make a rule out of it, I do agree with Bob that folks need to gather their thoughts and consolidate. One suggestion would be to do more research on the site before you blow open another post about "twang" vocal mode?

While some things like twang have probably been explained, other things like certain types of "rock grit" haven't been sufficiently explained/discussed, which is why there are dozens of threads about it.

If the answers were already fully available, I doubt people would keep asking.

Personally, I think it's preferrable for someone to make a single post with several questions on it, rather than starting multiple threads which would then lead to people asking the person to stop flooding the board. People have questions, and apparently all the questions they have are gaps in their knowledge they need filled. When we're trying to understand something we have to look at it in different angles, hence the multiple questions, and it's not possible to summarize all the issues in one question.

People are asking looking for answers. If someone is actually too limited in time to answer several questions, it makes you wonder why they're committing time they don't have to insufficiently answering someone's question.

Perhaps it's these incomplete answers that are causing the confusion, which cause repeats of the same questions?

While some things like twang have probably been explained, other things like certain types of "rock grit" haven't been sufficiently explained/discussed, which is why there are dozens of threads about it.

If the answers were already fully available, I doubt people would keep asking.

Personally, I think it's preferrable for someone to make a single post with several questions on it, rather than starting multiple threads which would then lead to people asking the person to stop flooding the board. People have questions, and apparently all the questions they have are gaps in their knowledge they need filled. When we're trying to understand something we have to look at it in different angles, hence the multiple questions, and it's not possible to summarize all the issues in one question.

People are asking looking for answers. If someone is actually too limited in time to answer several questions, it makes you wonder why they're committing time they don't have to insufficiently answering someone's question.

Perhaps it's these incomplete answers that are causing the confusion, which cause repeats of the same questions?

point well taken insight.

however, not all posts are a plea for help. sometimes there are posts about new ideas or new revelations or new insights.

there are posts about book reviews, singers who impress, and a myriad of other topics (and even some great debates).

if it's a post for help, fine, we are all here to help and learn from each other.

what i'm trying to change are the posts that read something to the effect of "hi, i'm new here, and i want to know how to do this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and that. multiple topic, multiple subject posts, i feel are somewhat unfair in terms of the amount of writing and time it may take to answer all of those likely "unrelated" inquiries.

for example: if this were an auto enthusiast forum, and i just joined this forum with the desire to connect, learn and grow from the other members (many offer their knowledge, time, and expertise out of the goodness of their hearts) and my first post read...

"hi, i'm new here, and i was wondering how do you build an engine, paint a car, fix my brakes, change my oil and filter, and also my car dosen't start in cold weather....thanks for the free help, bob."

how willing would you be to tackle that list when you're only vehicle of communication and instruction is written?

do you see where i'm going?

Or, maybe there should be a "Read This First" thread that tells new users to look for their answeres in the already very busy and unique threads before posting a question as to eliminate dual, triple, quadruple posts... I see the lack of direction to new users more of an issue than the users that have been on here for a while.

Thats my $.02 anyway.

Or, maybe there should be a "Read This First" thread that tells new users to look for their answeres in the already very busy and unique threads before posting a question as to eliminate dual, triple, quadruple posts... I see the lack of direction to new users more of an issue than the users that have been on here for a while.

Thats my $.02 anyway.

Taking what Keith said...

Maybe some dedicated users on here should compile a post/stick thread or .pdf file with information about each area. This may be a huge task and extremely time consuming for people but it would be helpful, this could then be made into a "READ HERE BEFORE POSTING".

This could very easily be updated monthly with new information, or even broken down into information packs. At times I forget stuff and then begin scouring the forum for answers, having them all in one place could be very useful. It's not like the information has to be re-written, a simply copy paste would be efficient with the information being slightly manipulated.

I agree with the sticky idea. There should be a go-to post for basic explanations of what healthy singing consists of, how to increase range, improve tone, etc. I know it can't all be answered in one post, but information on starting would be helpful.

I kind of agree with Bob. I don't think we should make it a RULE, but it's just a fact that if you start a thread with tons of questions and lots of words, chances are that you're not gonna get great answers - simply because most of us don't have time to write an essay in each thread.

since the forum is entirely free, shouldn't the hunters of information be responsible to do the seaching for posts and information relative to his particular needs?

we have a search function. i have used it to find information on a topic. you have to do some research on your own at times.

for example "twang" search on "twang" and you will be inundated with information.

since the forum is entirely free, shouldn't the hunters of information be responsible to do the seaching for posts and information relative to his particular needs?

we have a search function. i have used it to find information on a topic. you have to do some research on your own at times.

for example "twang" search on "twang" and you will be inundated with information.

This is why I said there should just be a "Read this first" master post that explains that to new peeps. And, if the peoepl that have been on here for a while are anything like me, they will read it also.

This is why I said there should just be a "Read this first" master post that explains that to new peeps. And, if the peoepl that have been on here for a while are anything like me, they will read it also.

i guess this would be rob's call.

Again, I would feel kind of torn. I agree with Insight. Which is better? One thread that can address more than one question? Or multiple threads with separate questions, as we have had recently with a new member?

And, again, I see it as a non-issue. I like threads with one question. I like threads with more than one question. And, mostly, I don't have the energy to worry about the difference. In fact, I didn't think it was an "issue" until now.

I can't help but feel this is directed at me.

For the record, I stared at this forum, searching, reading, for 2 days straight before I decided to post anything. I spent an extra day crafting my post trying to make it as concise and clear as I could. There were still topics I found confusing, especially since the overwhelming majority of the answers I find are directed at men, and I am not one. How am I to know it is or isn't any different? Or, I felt I was on the verge of understanding, so I tried to answer my own and was seeking reassurance that I was on the right track. Or I wasn't clear on all the terminology, so I still had no idea what applied to me. So I asked. I thought it would be better to consolidate in to one post than to flood your board with 5 different topics.

Thanks for the answers you did provide me. I'm sorry it was so taxing. You won't have to worry about it again.

More than the search function, I agree with the idea of making a stickies thread that provides something like links to general questions already answered. Being a new member, I can already see this being a huge help. Or multiple sticky threads that provides links to step by step of the basics, and to advanced.

I would find it a little more easy if there could be topics for different genres. Since i am mostly interested in hard rock singing i would find it beneficial if i could first go to "vocal technique" and then click on "hard rock" or something like that. It´s not an easy thing to do, i know, and this is for free so i am very grateful that this forum exists. For a better "order" i would be willing to pay a small subscription fee, but maybe that´s just me.

But then again I'm an R&B lover and I think this forum is more swayed towards Rock, IMO, it may not be, but I feel that it would be awesome to go to the R&B section, Hard rock, metal, soul etc, there isn't that many ACTIVE members to keep each area separate.

I can't help but feel this is directed at me.

For the record, I stared at this forum, searching, reading, for 2 days straight before I decided to post anything. I spent an extra day crafting my post trying to make it as concise and clear as I could. There were still topics I found confusing, especially since the overwhelming majority of the answers I find are directed at men, and I am not one. How am I to know it is or isn't any different? Or, I felt I was on the verge of understanding, so I tried to answer my own and was seeking reassurance that I was on the right track. Or I wasn't clear on all the terminology, so I still had no idea what applied to me. So I asked. I thought it would be better to consolidate in to one post than to flood your board with 5 different topics.

Thanks for the answers you did provide me. I'm sorry it was so taxing. You won't have to worry about it again.

Sorry you feel bad, Iridal. I don't know that this thread was directed at you, specifically, as I didn't start it. And I personally don't care if a thread has just one question or more than one question. I have seen threads that had just one question drift and morph, as human conversation does, to something else.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed threads that had more than one question and there are a few, such as Steven, Stew, Robert Lunte, who are excellent and organized at answering each question and sometimes, able to tie all the responses together, if they fit together.

You could also try email. Most of us regulars have an email contact button. That way, if you are fearful of offending someone or breaking yet another unspoken forum that even I was unaware of, until now, of posting more than one question in a thread, you could avoid that "transgression" by directing the questions to a person.

For example, on this post, under the avatar of my dog, you will see "email." click on that, fill out a subject line. In the message field type whatever, and it gets to my email. And I am able to consider more than one question in a post. I'm not an expert in anything but I can sometimes point you in a good direction.

Peace, love and understanding.