How to improve tone?

Rate this topic

pj

Hey people, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot of times.

Just wondering, what are the few key aspects to take note of if one wants to improve his vocal tone?

Thanks!!

• Administrator

First of all, to learn what overtones are favorable. Students of singing sometimes don't really even know what overtones are aesthetically pleasing and which ones are not. so part of the answer is, through training, learning to hear the overtones that work.

Other things you can do is learn to hear the "ring" in your singing.. practice sustained notes and play with the formant, calibrate the embouchure; mouth, lips, tongue, etc... until you get a tone you like... chances are, it will be a tone other people prefer as well.

Tone is a personal thing, but it is also something that most everyone agrees on. You have to practice to not only get great tone, but to learn how to hear it and identify it when it comes.

Are you training and practicing? Because if your not training, you will not develop any award winning tone...

Hope this helps.

Hey just another question, how do one sing nicely?

I understand that this is a very vague question, but the thing is, I have been recording myself and I'm really not satisfied with how I'm sounding. I consider myself a beginner, so is that any major areas to look out for that will help me sound better? I'm a little off-pitch, been working on that, but I'm thinking what other factors are there that I have to take into consideration that will help me sound A LOT better?

I'm not looking for a quick fix, I just need to know what areas I should take into consideration to sound better.

Even very basic tips will help.

Thanks again. :)

• Administrator

Yes, this is a vague question. Too often, people in the "instant gratification", "take the easy way" culture want to know how to sing amazing or how to sing "nicely', but are not willing to purchase training, invest in any products that would help them to sing better and of course, not practice... but they want to learn to sing "nicely" or better. They want the reward, without the investment in energy, work, time and money. I don't want to belittle your question, but this kind of has that vibe.

However, I will try to give you a sincere answer. First of all, how do you define "nice"? What does "nice" singing mean to you? I guess I'll have to assume that it means the same to you as it does for me, but I can't be sure... to sing more "Nice"... you could try smiling.... To sound more nice, you need to learn to listen for overtones, the proper overtones that define a beautiful sound... this comes with training. Vibrato also helps a singer to sound "nice", singing in pitch of course, helps a singer to sound more than nice, but correct.

I guess, without training with you, it is a lot about tone, overtones, formant and how to shape the sound so that you don't sound quacky or shreeky... but really I want to help you, but I can't provide for you a solid answer, nor can you get what your hoping for on a forum post... this is a "global" question that requires consultation and working together. I hope you will consider that, because i want to help you.

If you upload a file or provide a link that has you singing and what you think is "nice", that would give me some kind of insight.

I hope this helps.

Hmm, I get what you mean.

For a start, here's the type of music I like, and naturally I will tend to emulate the typing of singing. If you don't mind listening to music in a foreign language, then here is one example:

I have been attending lessons for the past few months or so, but due to the fact that it is a group setting, the teacher does not have the time to devote attention to each student in the class, and furthermore I'm the weakest student in class, and now I really want to put in the effort so as to improve.

Currently I have been revisiting my basics, such as breathing with the diaphragm, raising the soft palate, "singing from the diaphragm"- this one I'm having quite a bit of problem with, I tend to use my throat when singing an actual song, though during vocalising I'm actually singing from the diaphragm.

I started out being "tone-deaf", really off-pitch when vocalising, and though my pitch isn't that great, but it really improved a lot. My transition from chest voice to head voice and vice versa is okay.

Right now, I guess I would describe my voice sounding a bit kiddish (I'm 17) though it has a certain rough edge to it, and I think in a certain sense the feel of my singing doesn't match with that of the song. I've been working on my projection too, previously I have been using backwards projection (that gives the feeling of the sound being stuck in my voice).

I think right now I don't sound like a singer. Another vague term, but I will try defining it. When I sing the notes don't really flow, they sound disjointed, I think my volume needs more work, I'm singing too softly for the chorus part, but then I don't dare to sing loudly because I tend to strain and I don't wanna spoil my vocal cords. I have this tendency to sound nasally when I'm singing longer notes.

I don't really understand the finding overtones part. Would you mind elaborating? A referral to an article would you, I will feel bad if you had to type it all out. :|

I've been recording myself and trying to improve on my singing, and I really appreciate your help thus far.:)

And I've recently ordered "Raise Your Voice", been waiting for it to arrive.

I've tried my best to analyse my own singing with my limited knowledge. Hope it can help you to provide me with some tips. I want to know where I should look out for when training, such that I'm training with a purpose.

Once again, really appreciated.:D

You should consider taking a few Skype lessons. They are not that expensive and you will be able to figure out what "path" you want to take and how much $ you want to spend. If you truely love singing, then it's most likely your best first step. As you said, voice lessons in a group setting just aren't productive. One on one is the way to go, I know Robert performs skype lessons.

• Administrator

Thanks Keith... Keith makes a good point, he is right... honestly, you need to get in front of me, we need to get to know each other a little bit and one small investment in my training system, "The Four Pillars of Singing" 2.0 and/or three internet lessons will honestly open a lot of doors for you and begin to answer a lot of questions for you.

How effective can I be to help you if I can't even hear you sing? I hate to make it sound like Im using this forum to just make a sell, but I'm not... I want to help you, but how can I if you don't do the program? "Raise Your Voice" is a good book and Jaime is a good teacher too, but whether its me or Jaime, you need to take some lessons.

Here is the link to my store to help you: www.thevocaliststudiostore.com

BTW, I listened to this video and honestly, there is barely anything here by my standards? This guy is hardly "singing", he is almost just chanting or talking in rhythm and pitch. Not saying that is "bad",... its fine. I understand the composition, I understand the art here... but I think when you start really training your voice with a great teacher like myself or Jaime, you will look back and say to yourself, "wow, I thought that was good? Now I understand what the voice can really do and how it all works"... there is a world of discovery out there on how to sing that is HUGE and exciting and I think you have not even scratched the surface. This video is not demonstrating much in my opinion... begin training and lets really start making exciting things happen and leave this video in the dust...

I hope this helps.

r

I understand what you mean, and yes, that was a rather simple song, though it is something like a short-term goal I'm setting for myself right now.

I'm looking through your website now. :)

Really appreciated.:D