It's Not Belting, But It's Similar. Help Me Figure This Out?

Rate this topic

Overdrive

The greatest thing I've ever heard is the yell slight distortiony loud singing (that is hard to describe) and most of the bands on my iPod can do it. I have been trying to figure out how to do it but I don't know. Maybe somebody has a "trigger" for this sound? I'm pretty sure the most effective way of teaching me something is triggers, if you just have some tips those are great too.

This one guy has gotten me more interested in it. His name is Ronnie Radke and this is him, he uses technique sometimes (his intro "SO GRAB THIS STATEMENT!!!!!" definitely)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNcujmCZOW0

This is an old song, nowadays he still generally sounds the same and belts BUT he doesn't use the same slight distortion sound. For some time I thought that if I belted I would be able to get the right sound but now I don't think so. I need new ideas. I'll post one more recording and in this song the guy is a master of the technique. He's using it a ton and it's awesome.

If there is anyone that can tell you what these guys are doing, this is the place you will find them. Sometimes it takes a day or so cause people have jobs and families, but rest assured, you will at least get what technique they are using - might need a vocal coach to obtain the result you want after that.

I listened to the first clip. In cvt clips I'd say it's "overdrive with distortion". Translating that to english, the core of your sound should very pretty loud (about 7-10 on the scale from 1 to 10), shouty, non breathy sounds, focusing mostly on the vowels Eh and Oh (as in "say" and "so"). Use a decent amount of breath support when doing this. It can be helpful to sing with a mouth configuration that looks a bit like you're biting into a large apple. Just check out those singers when they're singing live and you'll probably see them do this. As far as the raspy effect goes, I call it "distortion" and it's made by the false folds. You can do it by increasing twang so much that the sound distorts. Tip - to prevent you to getting a too obviously twangy and thin sound, sing with a slight yawn at the same time. If at ANY point this hurts, stop and take a break. It should be possible to sing like this without hurting your throat, but it takes a lot of practise and dedication. I'd also suggest that you warm up before doing this and after and drink some water, just to be on the safe side.

always get a hold of the live versions. here's one below.

in addition to the other folks comments, i just want to add that a lot of this type of singing is "attitudinal" as well as technique. it's the kind of singing where you really have to go for it fearlessly and keep a relaxed, open throat or you're asking for trouble. the success comes a lot from the mental aggression and this really needs support. you take all those punchy belts with the lower core.

Thanks for your input guys. I decided to try recording me attempting it and I have it here (it's .m4a format because it was recorded by my iPod, but it plays with windows media player, iTunes, and I'm not sure what else. Unfortunately box.net doesn't support m4a files yet so it makes you download it)

http://www.box.net/shared/1j80djmi0bocvrvok0s4

Thoughts for improvement?

Edit: I just realized I totally suck after hearing this song in another thread:

Now THAT guy is a master of the technique! I CAN'T DO IT AT ALL! When I listen to my recording now it's soo much worse, please help!

Overdrive, at certain points you might want to reduce your breathiness a bit (because being breathy and loud at the same time can cause vocal damage and non-breathy singing sounds better and more powerful) but that was a great job, man!

Overdrive, at certain points you might want to reduce your breathiness a bit (because being breathy and loud at the same time can cause vocal damage and non-breathy singing sounds better and more powerful) but that was a great job, man!

Oh thank you very much! How do I reduce the breathiness? More support? (Take in more breath and be firm with it?)

Sing while holding your breath is one way to start experimenting with it. It works for many. If it doesn't, you have to make it slightly more complicated but until then, see if the simple version works for you. You can also try singing while putting your hand in front of your mouth. If you feel heat and not wind, then you're doing it correctly.