Can someone explain the Inhalation Sensation?

Rate this topic

neugie92

yes, i can. i just stumbled upon it myself recently.

open your mouth as if to yawn but don't open too tall. keep the mouth from spreading sideways. sing a sustained "kee" as in ""key" in your head register. onset gently and sing at medium volume for at least 5 seconds or more.

did you feel like your note was kind of suspended and that the air gave you the feeling like it was recirculating upwards?

Was reading jamie venderas book and he talks about the inhalation sensation. trying to imagine like you're breathing in when your sustatining notes? can someone please explain this and how it works?

neugie92: Yes, I think that is what Jaime meant.

Here is one wayto experience it. For the following 2 exercises, make sure that the throat is relaxed and unconstricted:

Assume normal singing posture, and then take a very slow inhale until about 1/2 full breath. At that point, slow down the inhalation to the very slowest you can, but still keep inhaling for several seconds. At some point, your inhalation will slow down on its own, and then stop (throat open), because the energy you are using to inhale is balanced by the energy in your body that wants to push the air out.

Exhale slowly, and then repeat a few more times.

That point of balance, where the inhalation and exhalation forces are matched, has a particular sensation in the body.

In this next exercise, you are going to stay around that point of balance. Take in a 3/4 breath, and slow down toward the end so that you reach the balance.... exhale very slowly just a little, and then inhale back to the balance point. Repeat this, breathing very slowly, back and forth in this area... in the neighborhood of where the balance occurs.

It will feel funny, because we usually let the exhale happen as a relaxation. However, by not doing that, you are keeping the inhalation muscles engaged, and coordinating during the exhale.

That unusual sensation, where both the exhalation and inhalation muscles are active, is what you want to have during a sung note.

Now, to apply that to singing, its easier to do this first when laying down on your back on the floor, with a small pillow under your head. Bring a couple heavy books, and after you are laying down, put the books flat on the part of your abdomen where your navel is, and put your hands on the top book so you can sense its motion.

Repeat the 2 exercises you did earlier, with the partial breath balance, and feel what the books do as you reach the balance point... they have weight, but you are 'holding them up' with your continued inhalation gesture.

When you do the short exhale, do it as slowly as you can.

Now, to add phonation. When you get to the balance point (where you feel like you are holding the books up with your breath) onset a note, and when you do it... try to keep the books up as you sing the note, keeping the belly soft. As long as you sense that you are doing that... you will keep the inhalation muscles active during the note.

It will take 30 mins to an hour to start to be familiar with these sensations. Repeat the exercise series each day for a few weeks. By the end of that time, you will likely be ready to try singing this way without the books, and then finally, standing up.

I hope this helps,