Well, I've been here a while so...

Rate this topic

Trip

Here are some recordings of mine, done minutes ago, after I found out my roommate's MP3-player has a recording function. The mike is obviously crap but I hope the quality is at least somewhat listenable :)

First, the first two verses of The Show Must Go On + chorus. After I did the recording I realized I'd taken it a half-step down.

http://soundcloud.com/rodion-1-2/voice011-3/s-pHiCi

First verse + chorus of Soundgarden's Birth Ritual:

http://soundcloud.com/rodion-1-2/voice017

Both the recordings are done entirely in head voice, no jumping between head and chest.

Yeah, all I get is a link to download software or sign up for some other website.

I just wanted to hear the music. That's why I tend to prefer dropbox, box.net, and soundcloud. There, you can just click and hear the performance without the blind click-and-find-you-are-in-a-page-to-download-yet-some-other-software-thing.

Maybe, one day, I will get to hear it. I'm sure it was good.

Hey, Trip, you've got the right voice type for "Show Must Go On." You changed keys a few times, which can happen when you are singing a capella. It's happened to me a few times. But once you are settled in a key, your intervals (step space between notes) are right. I'd like to hear you do this with music. I know you don't have much of a mic to work with. But bless you for having the backbone to do it, anyway.

Thanks, Ron, for taking the time to listen to it and respond :)))

If by key changes you mean the different keys in the first and second verses, that's how the original goes :) Vocals start at B3 in the first verse (A#3 in my case), then at F4 in the second one (E4 in my case). But it's entirely possible that you've heard some blooper I missed. When I listen to it now, it seems almost wildly out of rhythm, but, well... acapella :)

How did the second example strike you?

P.S. Will try to record The Show Must Go On over music :)

Actually, the second clip showed a better (to me, maybe my hearing was wrong on the other) control of the key. At the beginning, one or two pitches sounded flat but I think that was a mic artifact, about like singing into a telephone and the mic flattens the response curve. Your intervals were solid. Nice, focused beam of sound, up top.