Problems with consonants in mixed voice!

Rate this topic

Jody

If I leave all the consonants out of a difficult phrase in the mixed voice, and just sing the phrase on the vowels, I find that I have no problems .. no breaks and good connection. It seems that whenever I flip (break) and lose connection, it's always due to consonants .. especially if there are 2 or 3 in the same word. I think I am supporting well and can do AH's and OOOH's in mixed voice all day long without breaking.

I am finding that applying the exercises to actual songs seems to be a completely different ball game altogether:(

Advice please;)

absolutely a different ball game.

vocal exercising helps develop (hopefully) good habits, but singing where words come into play is much harder. consonants generally speaking block and/or interrupt flowing air and sound.

the trick is to sing on the vowel and minimize the consonants.

here's a brand new video on the topic.

Great! Many thanks for the video;:) I wish more teachers would put out more videos on application. I have been studying the SLS technique for several years and have also other courses, all filled with similar exercises to the SLS. Everytime I have a tough time applying the exercises to songs, I go back and do MORE exercises!! But this hasn't helped! I'd love to see a full course on application!

Thanks again for the video.