Whole Lotta Love Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys,

Just finished recording this classic song that I'm sure nobody on any rock based vocal forum (such as this one) has ever thought to cover before...

Anyway, here it is http://www.box.net/shared/ln4fg4i5kx

I know it's average at best. I'd love a few sentences on what I should do to improve (if someone can spare it) and not just a basic observation. But all comments are appreciated.

Peace.

You have a great voice for this song. The start of the second verse was a little out of tune, and in some areas the phrasing was a little off.. Sounds like maybe you got tired and lost a little control - which is easy to do on a song such as this. BUT, then you nail the high notes like they are nothing. (which is a skill I desperatly wish I had) - Overall great job!

www.drop-head.com

I thought it was really good and you should continue singing this your own way. It is a valid and unique contribution. As a recording, I think it stands on it's own, though, and this is hard to say in a vocalist's forum, the voice was almost a hair too prominent but that is a mixing problem, not a technical problem.

Good stuff, Nathan.

And Jonpall covered this, while playing the guitar. Not taking away from your thunder. In fact, it puts you in a very small group of people who have actually covered this song.

edited to add: here it is. And not stealing your glory, just pointing out that you are in good company.

Iceland, country of gigantic voices.

Hi Nathan. Great job man! That was very cool. You're using a very similar voice configuration as Robert Plant did and what I'm personally doing a lot of these days. Basically, about messo forte volume singing with cry and twang and slight distortion. In my clip above, I was singing very close to maximum volume, a bit similar to how Robert Plant would maybe have sung the song live in his prime, but these days I prefer the sound of messo forte (between medium and maximum) volume. The only things you need are more practise doing this and more confidence. The confidence will come with you getting more practise. Cheers.

I'd really love to remix your song for you if you'd allow me. I think you sang great but need some better mixing to show off that voice! ;) If you wouldn't mind emailing me the backing tracks and your vocal tracks separately I'll get cracking on it. I have done some remixing for a few members here and they are pretty pleased with the results. One of them is Keith Goehner singing Alone Again by Dokken.

"GIDDYUP!"

I'd really love to remix your song for you if you'd allow me. I think you sang great but need some better mixing to show off that voice! ;) If you wouldn't mind emailing me the backing tracks and your vocal tracks separately I'll get cracking on it. I have done some remixing for a few members here and they are pretty pleased with the results. One of them is Keith Goehner singing Alone Again by Dokken.

Yeah, he rocks mixing!

www.drop-head.com

Wow, thanks for such fantastic comments everyone. I really appreciate it. Yeah, that second verse is kinda meh. I had to cut after the first in order to get it like this and it's still off. That's not to say the first verse completely kills me, I think the second is just harder somehow.

Jonpall, your version is amazing!! I play a little guitar myself and have been trying to sing whilst playing (and not doing too badly), but this song, because of the constant rhythm and difficult vocals, would be very hard for me to do.

Snax... Strangely, your comment is the most flattering thing I've ever heard about my voice. Thank you :) I would be massively honoured if you did that for me :) I have very basic (practically zero) production skills myself, it kind of shows. Something I've never learnt. I'll make sure to send you those!

Thank You everyone!!! Look out for the updated version which will have far better production ;)

Waiting for it, Nathan.

And now, let me derail the thread a smidge.

Jonpall, obviously you've got the voice and a freakishly good feel for the Jimmy Page feel. But I hear something different each time I listen to this.

Your drummer is golden and I don't just mean his hair. He has the pulse, all the way through. And your bassist and drummer have the same heartbeat.

Anyway, phenomenal performances from you guys and Nathan, as well. Inspiring.

I sent it to Nathan. I'll let him post it if he likes what he hears.

By the way, I hear a big similarity to both the singer of the 80's metal band Kingdom Come and also Adam Lambert in Nathan's voice. Can't really ask for a better combo than that!!!

"GIDDYUP!"

Great cover Nathan, I really like the tone of your voice and how it seems effortless for you.

Loved the bluesy run at the end.

I like what you did with the second verse, but I think it could benefit from some work.

It sounded like you weren't quite sure where you were going with it. It was a touch pitchy and not as strident/confident as the rest of the performance as a result.

It'd be great live though.

However you did ask for criticism/suggestions for improvement, and that's what I'd suggest. Figure exactly what the phrasing will be and nail it.

You'd have a really excellent, unique, pro grade version of a great, and very difficult song to call you own then!!

Based on this so far I prefer you voice to Robert Plant.

Ah, Snax already uploaded it. Awesome!

I really love it the way it is mixed now. I really really appreciate it Mike. Cannot believe how quickly you completed it too. Uber fast (Sorry my net was down).

I dunno about being compared to Lambert though, think that might oversell me a bit :)

Had to get a cliche blues run in there :) Perfect ending, haha.

I think the second bit is... Well, not too high because I think those top notes are really good... Just in a tricky area. I do not know what the exact notes are, but it's somewhere in the passagio (or high mix, to appeal to the SLS types) which is sometimes still a little troublessome (some days).

Classic song to cover :D. Sounds like you just came back to home and recorded it, without sitting for few hours and picking up the bast parts, but it's still pretty good. If you work a little bit on it you may blow us out ;)

Plant has got a little bit lighter voice than yours. IMO You would sound great in Skid Rows stuff, you should definitely give it a shot.

Archived