My Alone Again- Dokken Cover - remixed by a pro!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Actually, there's a lot going on that you aren't really going to notice right away but I added some spatialization to the backing music to widen the stereo field which helps give your vocals more presence while still maintaining a good volume balance. I also used a plugin from Sonnox on the backing music which added some more presence and oomph, especially to the drums. As far as your voice goes, there' so many little tricks and things I do that it would take way too long to explain. Suffice it to say that there's a LOT more going on than just some reverb and delay. ;)

Of course, i can't polish a turd and Keith's incredible voice is what makes this sound so good!

"GIDDYUP!"

That's one of the things I like about Snaxing, which is my own word for Snax-brand mixing. You are able to punch up the accompaniment track. Like you did on this and on "Rainbow in the Dark" for me. That really helps to get the voice into the mix. As if George Lynch reformed Dokken and hired Keith instead of the problematic Don.

Although George had his own band, Lynch Mob. But shoot, pay the blanket fee to ASCAP and Lynch Mob can cover this. And I digress.

I liked this mix. I think you did widen the stereo field, just a little. Mixing is an art and science unto itself. I've been reading about and now know just enough to know that I really don't know mixing, other than in general terms, which helps.

The biggest thing, though is at the the beginning of the book. Get the right monitoring system and the rest will fall into place.

Thanks Ron. Regarding the widening of the stereo field, what the plugin did specifically was to take anything which was panned to the middle of the track out of the middle and leave a little more breathing room for Keith's vocals to sit. That allows for a better blend of music and vocals volume wise. Then there's the matter of eq and compression plus a number of other tweaks which also help blend the voice with the backing track so he sounds like he is "in" the song as opposed to singing over top of it as was the case of the original version he posted in the other thread. Once again, great job Keith and I'd be thrilled to do any other songs you'd like mixed!

"GIDDYUP!"

Thanks Ron. Regarding the widening of the stereo field, what the plugin did specifically was to take anything which was panned to the middle of the track out of the middle and leave a little more breathing room for Keith's vocals to sit. That allows for a better blend of music and vocals volume wise. Then there's the matter of eq and compression plus a number of other tweaks which also help blend the voice with the backing track so he sounds like he is "in" the song as opposed to singing over top of it as was the case of the original version he posted in the other thread. Once again, great job Keith and I'd be thrilled to do any other songs you'd like mixed!

I've been reading this massive book on mixing. And I know just enough to know how much I don't know about recording, let alone mixing. It is a skill and I think that you being such a phenomenal singer helps you to be a better mixer. You know what is required. I've read that just the right amount of reverb helps widen stereo field. That is, it's not just duping to 70 % left and right. Nor are you being secretive. But if you were to list every little tweak, this thread would get boring in a hurry. In that book I am reading, the author sometimes goes that in-depth and then my eyes glaze over. At the end of a chapter, he has a "cut to the chase" section, that consolidates it to bite-size chunks.

As for recording, I have a few songs I have been wanting to record and have mixed by those better at it than I am. But I am working on two things, first. I want to play with different output settings on my USB interface. It does not have input adjustment, only output adjustment. It provides +48 V for the condenser mic (Fame CM-1) that I am using.

Secondly, I am re-calibrating my voice by not reaching so low in the range. What I mean by this is to get rid of the habits in songs, not just in scales or practice, but what I do as a matter of habit in songs that is the wrong way for me. And that takes time. Just as you had to re-invent the way you sing after your surgery, so will I, though I have had no need for surgery and wish to remain that fortunate.

Once I scrub the vocs from a few Kamelot tracks, I'll sing them and send them also. I'm gonna do "Rule the wold" and "Ghost Opera". the backing tracks are going to sound like crap lol.

www.drop-head.com

snax....

Could you give us a list of the plugins you use and what they are each used for?

I am currently using Sonar X1, with just the default plugins that ship with it. But I think I'm missing one or two to take the mix to the next level.

Thanks

P

snax....

Could you give us a list of the plugins you use and what they are each used for?

I am currently using Sonar X1, with just the default plugins that ship with it. But I think I'm missing one or two to take the mix to the next level.

Thanks

P

Visit the website here http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/products/products.htm to see all the info you need on the main plugins I use. Of course I use a number of others but I don't have time to list all of them and explain what they do. Sorry.

"GIDDYUP!"

You sound a little bit like Daug. Anyway, you're pro. You should get signed and destroy the world, honestly man that's one of the best recordings that i've heared on this forum.

Thanks alot brother! That means a lot to me!

PS who is Daug?

www.drop-head.com

Hey Keith, somehow I keep missing reviewing your tracks. I was going to say, I like how you keep a warmth in your tone.

You have a bit of the operatic metal tone, and a really solid technique, but your tone still feels warm. Might be partly Snax's mix too, but nice job man.

Hey Keith, somehow I keep missing reviewing your tracks. I was going to say, I like how you keep a warmth in your tone.

You have a bit of the operatic metal tone, and a really solid technique, but your tone still feels warm. Might be partly Snax's mix too, but nice job man.

I have never had any lessons, ao I'm really not sure what technique I have, and what I don't lol - The only stuff I have learned is from this forum over the last 6 months or so. Thanks bro!

www.drop-head.com

The tone is all Keith! I just showcased his already wonderful voice. No artificial eq or the like. Keith has a great tone to his voice but I think he doesn't realize it. Technique, range and control will come with time and training but TONE you are born with. ;)

"GIDDYUP!"

Archived