So... Just had our first gig with the band! :D

Rate this topic

Snejk

I just have to post this because I had so much fun! I will also ask for a tip at the end... :D

Got up at 9 which is a real hassle for me. I did not think that there WAS a 9 AM actually.. :D So I got to the rehearsal place at time, we played through the set once more... Since I had alot of difficulties with the notes in most songs I simply sang an octave lower, just to make sure everything had stuck ;)

We carried the equipment to the place for our gig, we were to play at a wedding! Dang, then you actually HAVE to deliver :P So we got there pretty early, set it all up, and did some sound checking before people arrived. There was a dinner which we, the band were invited to, so I stuffed my face with some awesome moose-meat tacos and whatnot... A few beers, a glass of whine and then a glass of champagne... I was getting into hat, oh yes..! Later at around 11 PM it was our time to shine... I actually did 20 minutes of warming up! I've never been taking warming up seriously since I've always been under the misconception that "speaking and squeeling during the day warms me up just right". However I did some lip rolls and tongue trills...

Then we took the stage ;D This was the set list;

Thåström - Vacker Död Sad (Raspy song, not any high notes really, except I sang one octave above in the last chorus for funsies)

Misfits - Skulls (No high notes at all, just a boring and easy song)

Girlschool - Race With The Devil (Easiest song in our setlist. Singing the first four verses in a low voice then last two an octave up, easy peasy)

Volbeat - I Only Want To Be With You (very easy song except the parts "I only want to be with you" at the end of chorus. I have to sing it in overdrive or really push my chest which tires it quickly)

Pete Auty - Walking In The Air (the wedding couples favorite song... Just me and an acoustic guitar. Tried to sing it operatically and the last verse/chorus in head voice... It was very appreciated.. Very fun to sing..)

Metallica - Wasting My Hate (Great song and very underestimated... I do have some problems with the chorus (good day, how do... etc), it tires my voice ALOT.. Then again James really didn't sing healthy there so it's not so good trying to imitate him perhaps)

Gary Moore - Wishing Well (Most fun song of all! I love this one ;D No high notes, except in the end, where I hold a mixed A4 note for 30 seconds on "wishing weeeeell" with kickass rhythmic vibrato... I was blue in the face afterwards.. Puh!! )

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight (horribly hard song!!! The chorus ain't hard but the entire song is sung in high chest originally.. The "loaded, loaded" parts of the verse, I had to overdrive after a while because I couldn't pull chest that high unlesss I distort it... Damn you Halford and your godlike voice!)

Neil Young - Keep On Rocking In The Free World (Very fun song to sing, but also sung in high middle chest... Tires me alot!! Then again, Young doesn't have impeccable technique but at least he can sing it in full tenor without tiring after 2 runs of the chorus. He doesn't modify "keep" or "free" to sing "ü" which I almost have to...

I never survived singing all of these without my voice tiring at rehearsals. Now I got through it all without having to resort to any "tricks" and I was really happy! It was so much fun!! Too bad there was no recording of it!!

Anywho, we're going to start writing our own stuff now, and I will focus on singing in a baritone range with some high overdrive notes for effect (D5, Eb5 etc) but generally trying to polish my mid/upper mid range..

With this said,, I wonder... Does anyone have any suggestion for a song for me to record? I really would love a challenge which includes alot of middle register with the occasional high note.. Not a song that goes entirely in G4 xD

Thanks for reading my egocentric posts!!

Kisses and hugs!

That sounds like fun. I'd imagine getting out there and doing this stuff time and time again you've gotta be on the ball with health. I'm glad you're taking your vocal warmups more seriously.

As for a suggestion of a song to cover, if you're a baritone that loves high notes, like I did, my vote always goes to David Ruffin. Almost anything he sang is great practice and good 'voice exploration' as he had a whole lot of range, but he always maintained a baritone kind of tone.

This is actually one of my favorite songs of all time, I have only ever tried to cover it post injury, but if I ever get my voice back it's a huge priority for me to attempt it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrVB56JQNw

Or if anyone wants a more mainstream alternative (also one of my favorites of all time):

I'm not sure any singer has hit me in the gut as hard as good ole David Ruffin. He might actually be my favorite of all time. If Videohere has Lou Gramm as his 'voice perfection god,' then I'd raise Ruffin as my top guy.

If you try anything he did, you don't have to worry about getting the grit right or sounding like black guy, etc. Just tossing it out there if you or anyone else wants a challenge in the upper baritone kind of style.

Thanks Ku for the advice... Yeah I sang with alot brighter tone at the gig than I did in the other clip you commented.. I kinda start to favor the lower larynx though since it sounds a bit... Boomier ;)

I listened to the clips, and dang, he's got some really high head voice in the first clip... ;D Going to see what I can do... It's a long stretch from the uber-catchy power metal tunes I normally fancy! I hope I can find a backing track somewhere and I'll try to make a serious recording :3

Thanks Ku for the advice... Yeah I sang with alot brighter tone at the gig than I did in the other clip you commented.. I kinda start to favor the lower larynx though since it sounds a bit... Boomier ;)

I listened to the clips, and dang, he's got some really high head voice in the first clip... ;D Going to see what I can do... It's a long stretch from the uber-catchy power metal tunes I normally fancy! I hope I can find a backing track somewhere and I'll try to make a serious recording :3

Those warmer boomier sounds can be great and they suit you, yeah. That's probably why you had that Elvis vibe there. I think you had a knack for it you wanna step into another style if for even a bit. You'll have to show me your metal voice too but I think you're more versatile than you might think.

On Ruffin's range, tell me about it. I've been a fan for years and years. I have a huge amount of his material now, and I knew he could sing pretty high, but I usually don't pay attention to range consciously, I'm all about 'feel' when I listen unless I have a reason to be technical. Recently I saw someone made a compilation of his entire range here:

I was like really? No way. That's insane. Part of what I love about it, is he somehow keeps that kind of a 'warm' tone from the bottom all the way up. He doesn't get brittle like metal singers do and I have absolutely no idea how he does it. Maybe it's in the rasp but I have always loved warm tones in voices. As cool as metal vocals are, sometimes they can get a bit thin and metallic for my tastes.

Yeah, that first song I showed is pretty rare, it was not released in his lifetime, so a backing track probably doesn't exist. Most of his biggest hits were great songs (My Girl, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, etc) but he really showed his range on the rarer solo tracks. I might be able to come up with a backing track if I listen carefully, but those Motown Funk Brothers were pretty clever musicians. Their jazz training tends to slip me up my ears when trying to learn their arrangements. Power chords they aren't.

killer, i love this kind of singing myself. because as you say "it's all feel" and just adding songs like this to your "to-know, can-do list" is great training in and of itself. it soul, it's bleeding, it's great, great stuff. gramm's got that soul in his voice, another big reason why he stands out in my book.

i've made a point to sing several motown classics....big crowd pleasers to boot.

but listen man, i want to know that you are going to do everything possible to get your voice back. you have to want it back. fight to get it back. don't leave any stone unturned. if i can beat this polyp, you can beat your issue.

okay? let me hear you say "i'm gonna beat this thing." okay?