Katy Perry - Vocal Analysis

Fly

Hey guys, so I am new at singing and I was wondering if you could help me with something. I'm doing a little project on voice, and I decided to analyze Katy Perry's vocal technique. I was wondering if any experienced people in the field could give me a brief description on possibly her voice type, tone etc.? I'll post some videos for you to listen to. Based on my little knowledge, she seems to have a Contralto voice type with a usage of medium and head voice most commonly. Thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBrakIpaNG4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCQT7b-OFI

I'm unsure about your gender. But if you're a guy then I'm sure it must be such a hassle for you to have to watch all of these videos of Katy Perry. What a chore ;)

Now that I'm over the oobligatory "She's Uber-Hot" bit... She seemss really good in these videos (mostly). But check out this performance...

Hmmm... I'd say her technique could be better. Definitely strains a bit sometimes. But then she doesn't seem to on the above performance of the same song.

I'd say her lows are a little shakey, which is often common in females.

But her high belts could be a little more 'covered' (or 'mixed' voice) for better control. Of course, I'm basing this on that one X-Factor performance. Maybe that was just a bad night.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm not much of an expert. At least I could give you a bad performance from her so you could see a bit of everything. Even the best have their bad days.

I'm unsure about your gender. But if you're a guy then I'm sure it must be such a hassle for you to have to watch all of these videos of Katy Perry. What a chore ;)

Now that I'm over the oobligatory "She's Uber-Hot" bit... She seemss really good in these videos (mostly). But check out this performance...

Hmmm... I'd say her technique could be better. Definitely strains a bit sometimes. But then she doesn't seem to on the above performance of the same song.

I'd say her lows are a little shakey, which is often common in females.

But her high belts could be a little more 'covered' (or 'mixed' voice) for better control. Of course, I'm basing this on that one X-Factor performance. Maybe that was just a bad night.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm not much of an expert. At least I could give you a bad performance from her so you could see a bit of everything. Even the best have their bad days.

Yes, like you said, we all have bad nights. I have seen that performance, but I'm trying to paint the overall general performance for you. She luckily doesn't have tons of bad performances.

Archived