Singing tutor and head voice

Rate this topic

D.Starr

OK. So I had my first singing lesson with a new teacher today. I must say that I am rather impressed with what went down.

Unlike most teachers that I had he began with asking me what I wanted out of singing, the basics and began to do some breathing exercises with me. Something that every other teacher I had didn't do. Shocked? Yes, me too.

So we began with the hiss breathing exercise and went through why it's needed and some homework exercises I need to do to keep it up. Then went straight into some scales and arpeggios. Also found out that at times I tense up too much in the best and abs and hold the air too tight, so I need to lessen the hold and I also go into falsetto rather than head voice. What I had perceived as head voice was actually falsetto. He said I'm forcing too much air on the high notes so I have a falsetto effect, when really I should ease on the air and the volume, in effect lift up pull back. He also said he doesn't want to jump into songs because he wants to get the basics right and get me to transition into working my head voice. All my old teachers would warm up, do 2 songs, not speak about what I was doing wrong or how I should be doing it and then that would be it. Rinse repeat.

For £20 an hour he is really awesome.

My question would be, how can I begin to develop head voice if I am confused about what it is? And any exercises you found useful.

falsetto as most often thought, is breathier. concentrate on removing breathiness from the tone.

those descending head voice slides remaining in head voice even when you feel the chest voice kicking in is a great help.

try them on an "oo" and an "ee" vowel. relaxed, open throat, don't push the sound. nice and light. work towards a fluid, balanced, resonant, connected tone. siren down.

i really liked what they did for me.

Listen to the guy that you are paying $40 USD (20 lbs) to. We're just armchair "experts," not even hearing what you are doing. Just remember that one can have a light, connected head voice that others can interpret as falsetto. As opposed to actual falsetto, which is has different tonal quality. It is possible to sing a clean, high tone and it not be falsetto. Rats! ... there I go, speaking from my chair, again. Ignore. Hopefully, this teacher can really hear your voice, instead of his own psychological preconceptions.

OO and EE siren

https://www.box.com/s/zsxinx2bgs5xnxz4he84

To me that is head voice, but I also think it's a little too breathy to be head voice.

I do feel raspy or breathy as I come down closer to chest voice.

MUM scale

https://www.box.com/s/7q5jozvs52aplvmqh06x

Again, to me this is head voice.

I think what I need to work on it less breath but then I hold back too much breath and it overall becomes too weak.

Like I said earlier, I don't wanna jump on some head voice exercises if all I work is my falsetto.

Wow I just learned I may have been using head voice instead of falsetto from this thread. Cool. I know I took the air out and could get some pretty cool sounds, but it always sounded 'light' like Ronsw says. I think when females do exactly the same thing, it 'is' called head voice, but we males often get different tones up there so people like to peg us differently for exactly the same technique.

I always called what I could do 'power falsetto.' It's like you take some air out, add some cut, and it gets a cool sound. I think people can cry up to the sound a bit, twang harder for more thickness, or use a rasp to smoke it up. That is my rudimentary and possibly incorrect understanding. Anyway, light sounds aren't bad people, they are great. I'm a fan, so don't worry!

I think you describe it quite well, Killer. And yes, one can have a light, connected tone that is not falsetto and it's not some belted "rock" or broadway note.

And falsetto still has a place in pop music. Bono uses falsetto in his high stuff. The guy from Maroon 5 is using a full tone that is light, if someone needed a comparison, at least as far as I understand it.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I feel I have too much air as I pass from E4 up into my passagio. I try to lighten up and totally loose it. I can siren fine up and down and keep a good tone, but bringing a good heady tone into my passagio I find it hard.

When I listen to some singers I can hear the heady tones at G4 with a nice chesty ring. Ive tried twanging, but it sounds horrible.

Sometimes when I sing and do a heady tone I can tell its falsetto.

Ill upload some stuff later, just on the road back from a festival, boozy weekend :P