Me trying to sing Here I go again by Whitesnake

Rate this topic

Jugulator

I could never pull off 80s metal, but that's pretty good. Way better than I would have been able to do. Nice job.

The only thing I noticed was a whole lot of the sound was steered towards 'uh' kinds of vowels, as in 'underneath.' I probably have the least knowledge and expertise on these forums about metal style vocals, and I'm native English, so it might be a difference in pronunciation or singing styles, but it stood out to me.

I'm sure someone who is more familiar with the kinds of techniques you'd use in metal would help a lot. Rasp might have been interesting, but I have a feeling getting the vowels moving a bit more will be a bigger priority in the short term.

I like a clean voice in this song just as well as a raspy one. Grats on hitting the high notes also, I am far away from that kind range, so I envy you. I also think that your english pronunciation is pretty damn good given your nationality. This song would also sound good with some kind of operetic vocals I think also.

I echo Keith. Your accent was mostly american. Just as David Coverdale, (upper british) can sing in an american accent.

Mixing, I would have preferred the vocals a little more "wet." It was good mix volume, I would preferred a little sharper sound, but that is aesthetics. I think the mix you used artificially flattened your high notes just a little. It's an aural illusion, sure. That being said, your mixing skills are far better than mine. I've just been learning a little more about it so that I have a halfway decent chance of trying to describe somthing in the correct language. How would you get the vocal more "wet?" That would depend on your gear, software, plug-ins, etc. And as I have learned, while one can use some automated seequences or macros, it won't necessarily work the same on every song.

Sometimes, not even in the same song. I did a cover "I don't Believe in Love." And while the mix sounded okay for the lower notes, the higher notes sounded muffled. The solution for that, at least in Audacity, would be to record the high parts on a separate track and mix that track to sound right, then export all vocal tracks to one, or let Audacity "mix and render."

I've seen your descriptions and you've got way more tech than I do.

To give it more fluidity and congruency, try to hold the notes longer at the end of each phrase. Take deeper breaths between phrases and try to sing to phrases back to back without breathing between to really give it some flavor. I know it's a little tough, here is where breathing exercises really help which for me is at the core of solid singing; when and how to breathe.

Good luck...