Combining 2 methods

Rate this topic

ast92

hey everyone ive been using 4 pillars for like 5 or 6 months now and results r jst amazing i can hit high metal screams so easy nw, first time i can actually know hw to sing in headvoice powerfully. Before using pillars i used ktva for like 2 months nd i stopped it cause my tone changed it became baritonish altho im a tenor and i couldnt sing lightly...my voice was as hard as a rock and belting was much much easier and more powerful.

so i wanna combine both of these methods in my training to be able to sing both lightly nd strongly in any part of my range....u guys think its a good idea? (say yes plz :P)

• Administrator

Hello, that is fine... of course you can combine good ideas from different sources, just make sure that those sources are methods that understand and embrace "bridging & connecting" concepts... that means, they have viable and proven techniques for bridging the registers and building the head resonance to sound big and "boomy". Ken and I have a lot in common in the way we teach and our backgrounds in training, (we are both Maestro David Kyle students), its a good compatibility there. If you try to train TVS with any of the "keep your larynx neutral and balanced" systems, you are going to run into trouble and huge confusion as these systems are totally incompatible with TVS.

However, having said that, I think your best option is to just stick with one program all together, it if is working for you. "The Four Pillars of Singing" 2.0 has everything you need, there really is no need to mix programs, but if you feel compelled to make things more complicated for yourself, practicing ktva with tvs is probably not going to hurt you. If you practice sls or ss with TVS, you'll totally get confused and it will ruin the good solid work you have started on.

BTW... as my client, I want you to send me a file of you doing onsets and sirens... I want to know you are training properly the TVS method and I'll be able to know when I hear your onsets and sirens... send it to my personal email. As my client, I am available to give you feedback and help you.

R

Let me get this clear in my head. You went with a system that was not working for you. You came to use 4 pillars which brought you abilities and qualities you now have. And you want to combine it with the system that was not working for you. Why? It's like having one brand of car that does nothing, fails, and then another car that is good for you, and now you want a car that is a hybrid of both? Why? To drag down the accomplishments you have made? Some things you're not going to be able to mesh.

thank you rob so much ill send you a file soon cause ive been sick for few days now...i hv to say that you rob are the most helpful and best communicator coach ive seen

ronws: its not that ktva wasnt working for me its just that it didnt gave all the results i ws looking for, my priorities wer head voice development thats y i used tvs which was for me really effective in that area. the covering technique in tvs is really good but wat i want is belting (overdrive and curbing) its just wat i wanna sound like thats all. so i wanna combine both methods cz i think if i did id be workin almost all the vocal modes equally dono if im rite tho :rolleyes:

I'm still not understanding, or have you not seen Lunte's latest free tutorial on distortion, right in the accursed passaggio? Please, believe me, I am not a salesman for Lunte or 4 Pillars and I have ticked him off, now and then.

I just don't get it, how one system didn't bring you what you were looking for, and another system, Lunte's, brought you some things you didn't know you had. And now you want to try and "combine" it with the system that didn't work for you?

Granted, I am a simple guy. I just don't understand. But, Peace be unto you, anyway. No harm, no foul. Just an old guy not understanding why you are wanting to integrate a previous system that YOU say was not bringing you what you need (absolutely no criticism or insult against your previous system. We all find what works, or so, at least I thought.)

He's saying that he likes the "chesty" stuff from one program and the "heady" stuff from the other. (Granted, the two programs do overlap a bit). I think most people, me included, are like this. Even though we PREFER some source of information (singing wise or it could be something completely different), some other sources might have a few extra things in them that our preferred source doesn't, and we feel that this combination makes us more complete.

Basically, he's saying "Ken, you complete me".