Holiday Songs

ronws

Oh yes. I watch that every single year. David Bowie has probably been my overall biggest musical influence (his voice helped me learn to sing, willing to experiment with so many styles, etc) and Bing Crosby is my favorite "Christmas" singer. Match made in heaven. Thanks for reminding me to check it out. Peace on Earth, what better line could there be?

I used to sing White Christmas every year. I had a recorded version long ago. I think very near my injury actually, but I have no idea what happened to it. In the meantime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXcNfA4qebQ

Thanks for linking that, Killer. Some years ago, during the holiday season, I was working on the construction of a Lowe's. Right across the street was a nursery that played Bing Crosby's live Christmas album, on auto-repeat. And I was working 12 and 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. After a while, it felt like enhanced interrogation technique. But this performance helps me re-connect with it in a good way. Thank you for that.

Oh boy, that would totally do it. Yeah, it's definitely an overplayed song, but the composition, singing and melody are all classic. I remember just sitting down and learning the chords I was amazed at the subtlety in the arrangement for what is a pop song. Nowadays you'd have 3 chords and you're done.

I just found my old cover, might as well put it up too. http://soundcloud.com/killerku/whitechristmasharmonies

I recall this was right at the tipping point for my voice, though I don't remember exactly when. I tried a funny head voice/falsetto kind of thing for the second half, which is bit quirky for the song and I probably shouldn't have.

Maybe some of you guys can get some covers in too.

Oh boy, that would totally do it. Yeah, it's definitely an overplayed song, but the composition, singing and melody are all classic. I remember just sitting down and learning the chords I was amazed at the subtlety in the arrangement for what is a pop song. Nowadays you'd have 3 chords and you're done.

I just found my old cover, might as well put it up too. http://soundcloud.com/killerku/whitechristmasharmonies

I recall this was right at the tipping point for my voice, though I don't remember exactly when. I tried a funny head voice/falsetto kind of thing for the second half, which is bit quirky for the song and I probably shouldn't have.

Maybe some of you guys can get some covers in too.

I actually like the falsetto! Ever try any Robert Plant or Angus?

I listened to it twice. Once, earlier in the day, and didn't have time to comment (other things I needed to do.) And again, just now. And some things are worth more than one listen. In the lower end, you are totally sls, not much breath support. Doing okay, mind you. In the higher parts, you are forced to put some more air into it and it works. In fact, I like the tones of your higher notes better than those of the lower notes. And your high notes were not falsetto. I don't know who told you that was falsetto but I think they were mistaken. And, if I may be so bold, I think you were mistaken in thinking they were falsetto. It is a light, connected head voice you are doing there and yes, it is subtle. Trust me, been there, done that. In fact, if your email link works, I'm going to send you a link of where I previously thought I was doing falsetto but it was headvoice, without sounding like death metal, or whatever. Work on your upper range. I think you have been mislabeled and misdiagnosed.

By the way, was that you playing guitar? Granted, simple arrangement, but those are no easier than more complex stuff. I liked the chord variations that you used, if it was you.

Thanks Goldy. Nah, Plant and Angus were always out of reach for my voice to regularly hit. Quite high pitched.

Ronsw, looking back I'm convinced it's head voice too. I actually got the sound using my 'David Bowie imitation voice' up top very quietly. So that's why your post here totally reminded me.

I totally agree on the support on the lower notes. I think this was recorded in my last month of having what was left of my comfortable voice, before the really crazy 24 spasm came and caused me long term problems. I was knee deep in SLS singing stuff which was kind of throwing off my breathing.

Yeah, that's me on guitar there, I used to sing and play at the same time quite well, but post injury I can't anymore because I have to concentrate so much on voice technique to fight past the pain to have any voice at all. I have to listen very carefully to the pain and what my throat is wanting to do, because it will often clamp down seemingly against my will. I can kind of tell the signs so I try to catch it first, and when playing guitar I can't concentrate on both, so the few times I've tried it I end up hurting myself.

Sucks, I wanted to be Jimi Hendrix, cause I can get some great solos too, but I was till in the progress of putting it all together!

I got your email man. Nice singing, and nice finger picking too. Yes, that is head voice. We don't need to get all fat, crazy, and thick or raspy to have one. I'd love if you could do some more acoustic stuff for us here. I actually found that was the best practice for my voice in the long run. No BS, no junk, just grab a guitar and sing more and more songs until you get better and better.

Archived