Covers (chris cornell, stone temple pilots)

• TMV World Legacy Member

some bits and pieces of songs...

http://soundcloud.com/singer9854

Let me know what you guys think? where i'm going wrong? suggetions to improving?

(I was holding back a bit on the higher notes too cause other people were in the house when i was recording it, so some of the notes arn't as strong as i usually sing them.)

You have a great tone. It's quite clear, without being too brittle. It sounds pretty much already 'right' for this genre of music you're singing so I don't have much critique on a technical level.

The only thing I'd say is now that you have a fairly commercial voice, you might try to write some originals and think about where you want to fit in the musical landscape. As long as your voice isn't hurting you or feeling bad, I wouldn't change it too much.

Grunge was quite a long time ago now, but we have a lot of post grunge bands out there still (admittedly I don't think many of them are great compared to the originals) so there might be a place for you there.

But maybe if you can find something, just a little something to 'stand out.' With your voice so polished resembling a style so clearly, you'll likely need something, anything, maybe visual or musical that will separate you from the pack. Writing better songs than a lot of these 'latter day bands' would work the best for me as a listener, but for the general public it could be tricky.

It might be as simple as adding a bunch of semi naked women in your music video (can you tell I'm not that fond of the general public's musical taste yet?) or I suppose for those of us that are more interested in the music, it could be something more profound that only you can offer if you dig deep enough. Think carefully about what you want to say in your music and how you want to say it. Beyond getting a nice voice, what is your ultimate goal? I think more than anything, that's where you are and what you need to figure out.

I agree with Killer. You have a nice tone.

I really liked "Plush." Velvet Revolver should have hired you instead of Scott Weiland. For one thing, you have a lighter voice, which would have suited their uptempo blues style, ala GnR, though I think they should have also tried for a tenor singer. And now, except for Matt Sorum, Slash and Duff don't really care to pursue VR, any more. Maybe it was too much baggage to begin with. And I digress, sorry.

Excellent Audioslave cover, too. I like that you don't try to sound just like Chris. You sing like he does, without sounding like him. That is, you sing from your feeling. I get the same vibe from your performance as I get from his, even though you don't sound like him, per se.

Rock on.

thanks so much for the feedback guys!! I have trouble telling if my voice sounds ok or not when i record it, i tend to listen for every little mistake, wrong note, etc etc.

So it's great to hear some feedback. really appreciate it. :)

Everyone makes mistakes and no vocal track recorded is ever perfect. And to expect otherwise or to concentrate in little errors is non-productive. Granted, we can fix mistakes when we find them, but there is no way we can be machine perfect. That is why recording engineers use auto-tune. So that everything is digitally perfect for mixing in a digital format. And our ears are becoming accustomed to that.

Whereas, for me, Live is where it's at. Can you sing this song, live, all the way through? Even better, while playing guitar? Then you've got the song down.

Archived