Sulfur Hexafluoride

Rate this topic

VideoHere

i was at the doctor's office tuesday, in the waiting room, with nothing better to do but look at the kelly ripa (and whatever guest host was trying out for the coveted regis replacement...yeech) show when i saw a segment where this guy made them inhale sulfer hexaflouride into their lungs. the result was the opposite of when helium is inhaled into the lungs. it made their voices incredibly deep.

i wonder if any of these guys who sing low ever used this stuff. ever hear of it?

Only problem with inhaling this over a prolonged time, it can be a serious health risk.

D.Starr: Its pretty inert stuff... does not react with much. However, prolonged inhalation of it (a few breaths in a row) will prevent oxygen from entering the lungs, and the user will become faint.

i was at the doctor's office tuesday, in the waiting room, with nothing better to do but look at the kelly ripa (and whatever guest host was trying out for the coveted regis replacement...yeech) show when i saw a segment where this guy made them inhale sulfer hexaflouride into their lungs. the result was the opposite of when helium is inhaled into the lungs. it made their voices incredibly deep.

i wonder if any of these guys who sing low ever used this stuff. ever hear of it?

Bob: its does not change the pitch of the voice... it lowers the resonances, so that lower harmonics are greatly strengthened. The acoustic result is a voice like what would come out of a very large bass vocal tract.

Wow, I'd never heard of this. It sounds 'fake' low, so I doubt it's used much in singing. People would be much more likely to pitch shift something. I know a few of my favorite Beatles songs were shifted up or down in pitch for artistic effect.