Is Singing A God Given Talent?

goldy

Hey man, thanks for standing in my corner. I have actually gained a lot from this forum, especially confidence. I'll bet one day soon that I'll be the one to give the advice that some people will learn from. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

I actually feel threads like this are very important, Goldy. A lot of people have low confidence for a lot of reasons, be it past experiences, or a natural mental disposition. I've had depression all of my life so I know how it feels. I also know what seems to work, and what doesn't seem to work when people try to help.

Any time someone can be given confidence, or even better for me, a reason to have confidence I feel this is a very good thing. I may feel a whole lot of things that are painful, unpleasant, inconvenient, or lacking hope in my life, but very rarely would do these painful feelings actually argue with scientific fact. It's pretty much a scientific fact that you can get better at singing. No matter how insecure, or bad you might feel at times, being armed with this fact is quite the weapon at combating these difficulties.

In that sense, I think it's very important to arm singers with the kinds of weapons they will need to fight through any inevitable hardship, internal or external and prevail as best as they can. Ignorant people will try to cut you down and that can be very hard, but it's much easier when you know they are wrong!

I actually feel threads like this are very important, Goldy. A lot of people have low confidence for a lot of reasons, be it past experiences, or a natural mental disposition. I've had depression all of my life so I know how it feels. I also know what seems to work, and what doesn't seem to work when people try to help.

Any time someone can be given confidence, or even better for me, a reason to have confidence I feel this is a very good thing. I may feel a whole lot of things that are painful, unpleasant, inconvenient, or lacking hope in my life, but very rarely would do these painful feelings actually argue with scientific fact. It's pretty much a scientific fact that you can get better at singing. No matter how insecure, or bad you might feel at times, being armed with this fact is quite the weapon at combating these difficulties.

In that sense, I think it's very important to arm singers with the kinds of weapons they will need to fight through any inevitable hardship, internal or external and prevail as best as they can. Ignorant people will try to cut you down and that can be very hard, but it's much easier when you know they are wrong!

Thanks Buddy, I really appreciate that!

My opinion? Absolutely not.

I think of lot of people tell themselves such nonsense to justify not putting forth the effort and totally committing themselves.

It's like anything else. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes or you'll do without. It's that damn simple.

Some of the most successful singers are not technically the best singers. What makes them successful is attitude. Technique is important. But it starts with the chutzpah to think that you have something to offer. And then deliver it, heck or high water.

I noticed in the video, Goldy, you did something I used to do. Crashing notes. This is the sudden deflection downward in pitch at the end of the word or phrase. It's partially due to being raised in the south. It's part of how men speak down here. Hold the pitch to the end of the note.

And commit to the song. I don't care who wrote "Ain't nuthin blue but the water." While you are singing, you, Steven, wrote it. It was your idea. (We'll deal with copyright later. :) ) That's the biggest thing, right there. And I still have to remind myself of that, even now and then.

No one in our family said I could not sing, that I can recall. And, for some while, our musical endeavors were supported and encouraged. Later, we were supposed to become doctors and engineers, etc. You see how well that worked. ;)

Even though it was irritating at times, sometimes, the best advice I received growing up was "figure it out for yourself."

i just want to add that (and i'm saying this even though we all kinda know it) it takes a lot of work and dedication to be a pro-caliber vocalist. you really have to grow the voice and be willing to give up certain things and then get to point where are able to self regulate things, adjust things, and learn what works best for you....for your voice.

not for anyone else but you. this comes from experimentation.

i have have returned back to my exercises (post polyp) and i have never felt better. these frisell head voice slides (it least for me) are the best exercises i've ever done, ever.

i can't get over how much i have strengthened in the light register.

i just want to add that (and i'm saying this even though we all kinda know it) it takes a lot of work and dedication to be a pro-caliber vocalist. you really have to grow the voice and be willing to give up certain things and then get to point where are able to self regulate things, adjust things, and learn what works best for you....for your voice.

not for anyone else but you. this comes from experimentation.

i have have returned back to my exercises (post polyp) and i have never felt better. these frisell head voice slides (it least for me) are the best exercises i've ever done, ever.

i can't get over how much i have strengthened in the light register.

You definately inspire me and you're right, there probably has not been enough dedication and time put into where I want to be . Thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated!

Archived