Vibratto part II

Rate this topic

Keith

I have an issue with vibratto (spelling?) that I just noticed. To start off, when I was 4 yearws old, I started taking drum lessons. I have uncanny rythem (not too toot my horn) but, I do. When I was a senior in hgih school. I could play anything.. and I mean ANYTHING. I would warm up to playing along with Dream Theater Cd's. So here lie the issue:

When exercises that are for quality (like very slow do - re- mi ect) I find my vibratto is in rythem to the scale - for instance it is times to 16th notes when singing an octave do re mi blah blah blah... And I CAN"T CHANGE IT - it's like my body doesnt realize that I should vibrato faster or slower, or even fade it in. Anyone think this is an issue?

~Keith

I think this is a muscle memory thing. Btw, I'm a drummer too who plays virtuoso stuff (Freese, Wackerman, etc...) I've never bothered to check if my vibrato is in time with a song or not.

I think initially vibrato just happens and that it takes practice to control it. Maybe it can't be directly controlled, but I think we can learn how to relax, contract, and whatever to get our vibrato to speed up and slow down. To me, it seems as though my vibrato happens quickly naturally, and that in order to slow it own I need to focus more on the air flow and my throat. Laughing like Sponge Bob helps me to start feeling my vibrato, or maybe it's just a placebo effect, but it works for me. Bending a note sharp or flat at different speeds (aka guitar vibrato) also helps me. Good luck.

I wanted to mention that Catherine from CVT advocates a rhythmic vibrato where you do try to subdivide the number of undulations per quarter note or whatever. So that's an endorsement from an expert.