my take on Child In Time by Deep Purple

Rate this topic

darkclaw3000

this song came as an easy one for me compared to Dio stuffs. Thinking my voice is more suited to Ian Gillian's kinda stuffs.

I think I went wrong on the 2nd part of the Ahh~ part. (2.27)

Not quite sure if I was pulling chest. haha. yeah man I'm not sure whats going on.. -_-

the 2nd part after the solo i did it differently. (8.11) maybe this is the correct one?

http://www.box.com/s/sl7a77gozm0e84fkxqco

Holy cow. Very nicely done! I didn't hear you pulling chest at all, but it sounded like maybe your voice was getting tired in that area - maybe because ahhhh is a harder vowel than ooooooh? Not really sure, but it sounded great!

I'm speechless. Totally astounding. And rather than trust my own judgement, I went to a truly objective audience. My wife. We both used to listen to this (before we knew each other) when it first came out. We still listen to Uriah Heep, as well, another band from that era.

Anyway, my wife does not play an instrument or sing professionally. She doesn't about CVT, 4 Pillars, any of those things. Bel Canto might as well be a brand of pasta sauce, for all that she cares about the study of singing. Curbing could be where you accidently swipe the curb with a tire when you parallel park the car. Appoggio might as well be pasta. She's not stupid, just not interested in all this technical detail like we are. She simply knows, as a listener of music for quite some time, whether a singer is good or not good.

And she agrees, you are good.

Which section felt easier for you, as they both sounded good. And I like your arrangement near the end.

And I can totally hear the Ian Gillan comparison.

thx guys! wasnt easy song to cover too.

Keith - i think so bro, Ahh seems harder, but maybe because I'm singing the 'oooh' in almost falsetto mode. i think im doing falsetto because thats what i'm trying to achieve..

ron - thx so much ron! and pls say thanks to ur wife! =D when i recorded the song, the arrangement i did at the end seems appropriate. i think ian does that too, i cant remember at time of recording so i just went with the feel of it haha. glad u like it! maybe i should cover more ian gillian stuffs to see if my voice really fits him.. because i like Dio stuffs more. ahaha.

jug - i'm not really sure where is the C5 and A5 u talked about bro.. can u tell me at which specific point in the clip? would like to listen and strengthen that part! =D and thanks so much!

jug - i'm not really sure where is the C5 and A5 u talked about bro.. can u tell me at which specific point in the clip? would like to listen and strengthen that part! =D and thanks so much!

Ok. You were expected to hit C5 when singing "..and bow your head". Your A5's were a little pitchy.

Ah, that part yeah I guess I was pitchy. I wasn't sure on which pitch to go to, kinda struggling to get it right, hence the shakiness. i remember when i was singing that line, while singing, my mind went 'ok wait how did he sing this part..?' hahaha. but i just went on with it =P.

this song came as an easy one for me compared to Dio stuffs. Thinking my voice is more suited to Ian Gillian's kinda stuffs.

I think I went wrong on the 2nd part of the Ahh~ part. (2.27)

Not quite sure if I was pulling chest. haha. yeah man I'm not sure whats going on.. -_-

the 2nd part after the solo i did it differently. (8.11) maybe this is the correct one?

http://www.box.com/s/sl7a77gozm0e84fkxqco

I happen to know Ian and Steve Morse personally. Next time if they play Nashville again and if the opportunity presents itself, I'd love to play this for them. I think it was very well done. I'll let you know!

@Olem - thanks so much Olem! yeah it wasnt easy.

@goldy54 - dude/babe u serious?? it will be like a freakin dream come true JUST to let them listen to me sing!! let me know man!! =D

Yes I am seroius. Deep Purple played Starwood a few years ago and one of my best friends had a killer gig in the Caymen Islands which Ian visited a few times. So when he comes to Nashville he always contacts my friend. Last time he was here I spent the whole weekend with him. He is genuinally a really nice guy! He actually talked Steve into going out with us after the show just because I asked him to come with us. I actually knew him from the Dixie Dreggs. my sister dated Rod Morganstein, the drummer for about a year. I paisted the url for your song in my note pad. Can't promise anything, but you never know. I'll definately keep you posted.

OH man, I remember Morse when he was with the Dixie Dregs. Years later, when Kerry Livegren left Kansas and Steve Walsh ressurrected the group much later, he brought Morse in for lead guitar. At least for a while.

Watching Morse play is like watching water flow.

OH man, I remember Morse when he was with the Dixie Dregs. Years later, when Kerry Livegren left Kansas and Steve Walsh ressurrected the group much later, he brought Morse in for lead guitar. At least for a while.

Watching Morse play is like watching water flow.

I approached Steve at a Dreggs show about maybe 12-15 years ago(there were about only 200 people at the show) and I proposed a possible mngm't deal. He told me he had his pilots license and wanted to become a commercial airline pilot. The following year he was playing w/ Kansas. He has alway's been in my top 5 or 6!!! Jus thought I share.

• Administrator

First of all, what a great song to practice!! So epic and classic, especially for extreme techniques... love it. I have the karaoke track for this too, but have not had time to work on it.

At first, I thought I was listening to Ian Gillan... it sounded pretty darn good... I liked it.

Try modifying your falsetto on the first phrases from an "oo" to an "ah", it will sound better and set you up better for the more connected phonations that follow. I would push more on the tongue as well and try to position your resonant placements, deeper into the head voice, deeper placements, its a little bit shouty, but not too bad. It would feel better and sound better if you let go of the constrictors and instincts to belt that remain about 15% and get more heady...

Hope this helps...

First of all, what a great song to practice!! So epic and classic, especially for extreme techniques... love it. I have the karaoke track for this too, but have not had time to work on it.

At first, I thought I was listening to Ian Gillan... it sounded pretty darn good... I liked it.

Try modifying your falsetto on the first phrases from an "oo" to an "ah", it will sound better and set you up better for the more connected phonations that follow. I would push more on the tongue as well and try to position your resonant placements, deeper into the head voice, deeper placements, its a little bit shouty, but not too bad. It would feel better and sound better if you let go of the constrictors and instincts to belt that remain about 15% and get more heady...

Hope this helps...

Great Advise! Robert's advice seems to be always right on. My coach raves about this guy and I think what he does on this forum is awesome! Do you have anything else to share?

@robert - thankz Rob!! maybe I can try that on our 2nd skype lesson coming up this week? I'm Jay! =D remember that time i asked you for some tips on a gig i'm going to have on that night? I pulled it off! BUT with some minor problems. i seem to have a ceiling after a certain pitch. thinking i have a problem of puttin more twang on it to go higher. maybe i'll show you on my upcoming lesson though.

@goldy - rob's certainly a great teacher! :D

thx so much rob! coming from you, thats a lot. =D had a great time having lessons with u! u really put my mind at ease at some of the problems i've been having. n learned a lot on how to really focus on what's important. thanks again!

i probably do that video you suggested! =D gimme some time and i'll email you!