Worst Singer Works With Renowned Coach

Rate this topic

goldy

You guys have been asking for a demo and as reluctant as I was, I've put up my 1st video lesson with arguably the best vocal coach on the planet. After you finish laughing, I would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks!

http://voicecoach.evplayer.com/?seed=steve1

That's a cool video. Steve - I think you mentioned that you are a musician? And you worked with some great singers? Seems like you are well connected.

Your voice doesn't have any physical limitations at all. There is nothing wrong with your voice. You have a nice quality so you can develop it to do whatever you want. You are starting at the very beginning. It now depends on how much you want to improve and how much time you are willing to put in.

I think Renee is right to start with the Rhythm first. You've got to be able to execute the phrases with the right rhythm. When you sang the song at first you were all over the place with the rhythm and then the pitch was going all over too. You've got to get the melody and rhythm in your head first so you can hear it before you can sing it. I'd start with just one phrase at a time. I would NOT try to sing the song all the way through at first. Get the melody and rhythm right with the first phrase so you can sing it 10 out of 10 times correctly. Then add the 2nd phrase and sing the 1st and 2nd phrase until you can do that, and so on. You should practice the different verses and chorus seperately too.

Aside from practicing the song, I hope she gave you some good exercises too. A good warm up / work out routine is essential and will help your pitch and rhythm and general confidence.

I'd recommend spending at least 50% on exercises and 50% on the song. Just start with one song and break it down into small bite sized chunks. Take one bite at a time before moving on. Practice in front of a mirror and try to smile while you sing.

Enjoyed watching the video. :)

Your voice has plenty of potential. Your tone sounds quite good and is pleasant to listen to. It is just a matter of work and dedication as Geno said. If you are like a lot of us here, once you get into to it, you will become addicted to singing... and that is a good thing! That's what gives the drive to keep improving... improving makes it more addictive... and the circle continues. ha ha!

That's a cool video. Steve - I think you mentioned that you are a musician? And you worked with some great singers? Seems like you are well connected.

Your voice doesn't have any physical limitations at all. There is nothing wrong with your voice. You have a nice quality so you can develop it to do whatever you want. You are starting at the very beginning. It now depends on how much you want to improve and how much time you are willing to put in.

I think Renee is right to start with the Rhythm first. You've got to be able to execute the phrases with the right rhythm. When you sang the song at first you were all over the place with the rhythm and then the pitch was going all over too. You've got to get the melody and rhythm in your head first so you can hear it before you can sing it. I'd start with just one phrase at a time. I would NOT try to sing the song all the way through at first. Get the melody and rhythm right with the first phrase so you can sing it 10 out of 10 times correctly. Then add the 2nd phrase and sing the 1st and 2nd phrase until you can do that, and so on. You should practice the different verses and chorus seperately too.

Aside from practicing the song, I hope she gave you some good exercises too. A good warm up / work out routine is essential and will help your pitch and rhythm and general confidence.

I'd recommend spending at least 50% on exercises and 50% on the song. Just start with one song and break it down into small bite sized chunks. Take one bite at a time before moving on. Practice in front of a mirror and try to smile while you sing.

Yo Geno! Read your remarks to her and she agreed w/ all of it! Thanks for all your comments!

Enjoyed watching the video. :)

Your voice has plenty of potential. Your tone sounds quite good and is pleasant to listen to. It is just a matter of work and dedication as Geno said. If you are like a lot of us here, once you get into to it, you will become addicted to singing... and that is a good thing! That's what gives the drive to keep improving... improving makes it more addictive... and the circle continues. ha ha!

Encouraging words! Thanks Quincy.

I think she's exactly what you need because she's not concentrating on pitch, at first. She's getting to the basics that lead to pitch. And the most important thing she mentioned was about your hesitating manner. You feel you are not sure you can do it and that becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy. So, realize that you CAN do it and let THAT become the self-fullfilling prophecy.

steve, not bad at all guy.

yes, you do have a top instructor.

i'm a big fan of establishing basics from the ground up. may i suggest you grab a book (or two) and supplement what you learn with renee & learn about the ground floor basics:

getting in the right frame of mind, posture, relaxation, breathing, and support. there are some great books and videos you can purchase.

even though renee appears to be skipping these, my guess is she'll likely go over what i listed above.

i believe you really have to nail down core competancies.

how to prepare for vocalizing

how to warm up the voice

adding daily water drinking

50% of the success is preparation.

steve, not bad at all guy.

yes, you do have a top instructor.

i'm a big fan of establishing basics from the ground up. may i suggest you grab a book (or two) and supplement what you learn with renee & learn about the ground floor basics:

getting in the right frame of mind, posture, relaxation, breathing, and support. there are some great books and videos you can purchase.

even though renee appears to be skipping these, my guess is she'll likely go over what i listed above.

i believe you really have to nail down core competancies.

how to prepare for vocalizing

how to warm up the voice

adding daily water drinking

50% of the success is preparation.

She has one sign in her studio, it reads" It's the support stupid" You have pretty much covered a lot of what she has prefaced. This was just my 1st lesson. Thanks again!

jusy curious, how much does she charge and do you live in nashville?

A pretty pricey $235 for a 55 minute lesson. Yes I am in nashville. She does phone and Skype lessons as most coaches now do also. She has written for MV and endorses it as well. If you are interested I may be able to work something out for you. Also I want people on here to know I am not on here to promote her lessons however, I am very close with her and If anyone has any questions for her I'd be more than happy to address them to her.

Renee told me they were the ones that shot one of her master classes and I met the older one about 2 months at the Nashville Italian Street Fair. I think he knew Francesca Denapoli who was the runner-up for the Italian version of American Idol. Her prize was a trip to the U.S to study with Renee for 6 weeks.

Renee told me they were the ones that shot one of her master classes and I met the older one about 2 months at the Nashville Italian Street Fair. I think he knew Francesca Denapoli who was the runner-up for the Italian version of American Idol. Her prize was a trip to the U.S to study with Renee for 6 weeks.

the older one is michael. he and tommy figlio are my cousins. their sister mia is a singer. sadly, michael's wife is very sick.

he helped produce this nashville show:

the older one is michael. he and tommy figlio are my cousins. their sister mia is a singer. sadly, michael's wife is very sick.

he helped produce this nashville show:

Great video, well performed, and very well produced. Martina's one of my favorites. of course another one of Renee's students and I have worked with her on a few occations. I'm very good friends with her guitar player Greg Forsmen. Always run into her at his shows that she goes to when she's in town. He has a great rock band! Sorry to hear about Michael's wife.

Great video, well performed, and very well produced. Martina's one of my favorites. of course another one of Renee's students and I have worked with her on a few occations. I'm very good friends with her guitar player Greg Forsmen. Always run into her at his shows that she goes to when she's in town. He has a great rock band! Sorry to hear about Michael's wife.

martina mcbride's "oh holy night" accapella version can bring tears to my eyes. i absolutely love her voice. i call her the female lou gramm.....lol!!!!

Goldy, I came on this site by searching on a singing topic and was really glad to see this thread. I've been using some exercises from Brett Manning's instruction, and have thought about finding a local voice teacher.

I'd really be interested if you followed this up and kept a chronology of how things are going. The video was fascinating to me, because I think I would have sounded just like you during that first song. Or worse!

Please keep this going and tell how things are working out. I'm especially interested in when YOU get the feeling you're making an improvement. Did you feel like you had after the first lesson?

For any others here on the thread, are there more threads of people who are just starting out with lessons and telling their story? I intend to search thru the topics, but if you know of any specific ones, please let me know.

Thanks all,

Bob

Goldy, I came on this site by searching on a singing topic and was really glad to see this thread. I've been using some exercises from Brett Manning's instruction, and have thought about finding a local voice teacher.

I'd really be interested if you followed this up and kept a chronology of how things are going. The video was fascinating to me, because I think I would have sounded just like you during that first song. Or worse!

Please keep this going and tell how things are working out. I'm especially interested in when YOU get the feeling you're making an improvement. Did you feel like you had after the first lesson?

For any others here on the thread, are there more threads of people who are just starting out with lessons and telling their story? I intend to search thru the topics, but if you know of any specific ones, please let me know.

Thanks all,

Bob

Hi Bob, I felt a tremendous improvement after the 1st lesson. I'm video taping all my lessons and yes, I felt better about by chances of actually becoming a good singer after just the 2nd lesson which I will post soon. If you would like to see some really good singers improve with each lesson, here's the link. Let me know what you think.

http://cybervoicestudio.com/

Are you working with any particular course or a vocal coach? Do you have anything to listen to?

I have a voice teacher I like, but I've only started taking lessons this summer. Nothing to listen to quite yet. I'm working on that

I have a voice teacher I like, but I've only started taking lessons this summer. Nothing to listen to quite yet. I'm working on that

Cool! I assume that you are at least audio recording some of the things you are working on. Look forward to hearing something soon!

Sort of... but I'm always a little too quick to hit delete! I've seen noticeable progress in my time so far... but it's the sort of progress that reminds you exactly how far you have to go ha

I'm goign to try to record a little something tonight and post it in the critique section if I'm feeling brave!

Sort of... but I'm always a little too quick to hit delete! I've seen noticeable progress in my time so far... but it's the sort of progress that reminds you exactly how far you have to go ha

I'm goign to try to record a little something tonight and post it in the critique section if I'm feeling brave!

Go for it! You'll find the people on here to be very supportive, helpful and inspiring. That's why i've done it!