How am I supposed to live without you - cover

Hi guys,

Here I'm taking a shot at that Bolton song:

https://www.box.com/s/shph07zp8cxl32e1ooc6

Let me know what you think. I'm mostly interested if anyone could recommend some exercises or a way of training to make doing this easier. It's a very hard song to sing. Or ... maybe someone can spot some technical error that I'm making that would make singing like this a bit easier.

When I was recording this song, I first tried to mimic Michael Bolton's tone the best I could, so I made my voice sound deeper or dopier than what you hear in the link above. I also moved my mouth less and didn't pronounce the words as clearly. I ended up doing a vocal comp, i.e. the best lines spliced together. Then - finally, I said "what the hell" and just tried to sing the song the way I would have sung it if I had written it myself with MY sound. So I just had fun and did it in one take. That's the link above. And liked it BETTER (personally) than when I tried to mimic Bolton (and had to splice all the takes together). So I found it interesting that by singing it with my own voice, did NOT had to do any splicing and it was easier to sing and sounded to my ears. So the link above is just ONE vocal take and no editing besides reverb. You get a very good idea of my current skill level there (something for Stew or guys who want to be very picky :) )

For the fun of it, here is the vocal track only so you can hear more clearly what I'm doing (if you're interested - Stew? :) ):

https://www.box.com/s/4jfhz57nnt99t10ittxy

And here is that clip of me when I was trying to imitate Michael Bolton the best I could:

https://www.box.com/s/tlskihkpplld0fzrcnq1

... in short, the first clip is probably the best one - me singing in my own style in one take :) . I still envy guys who can sing this with less effort than me and kind of do it at will, whenever they want. Sammy Hagar is a good example.

Cheers,

Jon.

I listened to both and really couldn't decide which I liked the best, because they were both really great!

But if I was forced to make a decision, I would probably choose a more dark overtone for this song.

Great singing!

Hi JP hope you are well,

Where did that come from - great vocal, is this another that you did with the CVT coach and had advice on ? I should really say, "no comments". lol, but you want me to comment (chuckles).

you said, "In hindsight, I might like the chorus in the third link the best," - yup agree - on the 1st link you close down and ng (clamp down / close) the 1st chorus. You don't however much in the 2nd. Take the learning from the 2nd and apply to 1st chorus.

Each had their merits - fex. The 3rd one - section "hardly believe it", the "believe" is just so nice. The 1st link is brighter sounding and then takes over being the nicer track. Then comes chorus (as above - 3rd is nicer). Then comes the "how am I supposed to carry on" - which 1st becomes nicer. Quincy has mentioned a darker tone ... i''ll (poss) expand on that in a later post.

Each vocal have their merits. The first link as you rightly state is ... JP singing in his own voice. (as per Ron's previous postings about a vocalists sounding like themselves, rather than a copy of x, y, x)

Sounding good - Did the CVT lessons / coach help you over time. what were your learnings ? ... i'll add to later.

Thanks.

I like the first one. Maybe the 3rd one is better in the chorus, the first one sounds just a little tight in the chorus. But I like when you make it your own - it just sounds more free. Sounds great overall - you've got a great rhythm in the chorus, and nice rasp.

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen to it and give comments. I really appreciate it. Stew, yeah it would be great to hear any additional thoughts of yours on this. It's cool that you guys dig this, but I think I must have slipped into some configuration that made singing this song slightly harder than it perhaps could be. That's the annoying bit - being SOMETIMES able to sing like this, sometimes fairly easily, sometimes with lots of effort and sometimes sounding like a dying moose. :) . That's why I fear singing a song like this live (even though I do it once in a while).

Archived