Snax sings "Jane" again...

• TMV World Legacy Member

Well, I just got over a cold and it felt really good to push my voice again. I'm the first to admit that this song is still a little out of my league but it sure was FUN giving it my all! Hope you enjoy it... http://soundcloud.com/mike-bromelow/snax-jane-dec-18th-2011

"GIDDYUP!"

Man, that song takes me back. Living out of the car ('68 Mustang,) then, later again, with a '70 Ford LTD with a 351 Cleveland Police Interceptor, sometimes (I've been homeless a couple of times,) scrambling for a place to sleep. Living hand to mouth, going without food for five days (no money.) But I was young and strong and I knew way more than I do, now. My mother and brother scrambling for a place to live, as everyone's personal finances went to crap.

I realize that it's not really a music critique. But it was good and took me down memory lane.

Thanks guys. Regarding the compression, I did go heavy with it and used two stage compression on this particular song because my voice has a very wide dynamic range. The initial compression settings use a 4.6:1 ratio and a lower threshold of about -20db. The second stage uses a high 8:1 ratio and a much higher threshold setting so that it only catches the really powerful stuff that the first stage lets through. Trust me that I wouldn't have used as much compression if it sounded better without it. That's all a matter of taste of course but for me it sounded much tighter in the mix with this compression set up. I appreciate ALL feedback and I never take offence to critiques and suggestions.

"GIDDYUP!"

I'm more concerned with the really bad notes scattered throughout the song! lol ;) What sounds sweet at a loud volume suddenly sounds pitchy once I turn things down and really listen. Ah well, it's all a learning process. :)

"GIDDYUP!"

Enjoyed this one a lot Snax! I have no significant vocal critiques, as in order to get up there you're already doing some pretty crazy stuff and probably don't have much wiggle room as is, although I agree the compression is probably a bit much. Anything over 4/1 is usually pretty extreme but it's your call. I got similar comments from some of the stuff I was trying back in the day.

Aside from that, true story: First time I ever remember hearing this song, I was talking to my brother. I asked 'this sounds familiar and is damned catchy, who is it?" And he said "I think it's Jefferson Starship." So I was like "oh so is this somehow Grace Slick up there singing like that or is it maybe a really high pitched dude? He said, 'I don't know but I think she was already gone by then' so we looked it up, sure enough it's a dude.

I'll say one thing, you sound more like a guy up there, Snax. This guy had me second guessing myself for a second there! Jane Jane Jane. Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Archived