Vomitare or pre-vomit technique

Rate this topic

r_worsham2000

What is the pre-vomit technique, how does it truly feel and what is the advantage of it. Is this supposed to create the same feeling of relaxing the muscles under the chin as mentioned in Rigg's Sing Like a Star book or the Singing Success material? Also, does this help keep the larynx from rising? Does this increase ones range beyond the second break? I am curious because I was told by my instructors in college that I was a bass, though deep inside I knew that I should be able to sing higher than my teachers thought I could. Now, I have learned that I am definitely a tenor - thanks to a great 82 year old vocal coach - and sing Ab and A's very consistently. However, I cannot go beyond that and have tried much of suggestions already posted. Vocalizing and actually singing words in a song are completely different. Thanks for any help and I am thoroughly excited to have found this site.

Robert

I don't know if that's the case, but my teacher tells me to 'vomit':) while i sing - especially higher - and she means that I should keep my larynx low and soft palate high. She also calls it 'open throat', though it's all only a visualisation.

Never heard of such a technique, but having done my fair share of violent, uncontrollable vomiting, I am of the opinion that it is not a good thing to visualise! :D

Seriously though, now that I try it, it's obvious that there is a very strong instinctual abdominal tightening, and an open throat.

hey rworsham_2000 i've learned its more about the vowels when vocalizing words :) had trouble making the transition myself from "warmups" to wores/phrases...do like you do in a warm up, la la ma ma na na. sing the vowel...

and BWAHAHA on the LEMMY COMMENT MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Obviously not many have heard of that technique, though my voice teacher in college taught it as well as my more recent vocal coach (who actually helped me go from bass to tenor) and I read it again at thevoiceteacher.com. Evidently, for me anyway, it was more an issue of the abdominal muscles than anything else. Mr Bounce pointed that out, I tried it and it worked great. You definitely have to keep the soft palate high and larynx low, but I have been able to sing words to different songs fairly easily. Thanks for the help and comments.