Is this a "Heavy Mix" voice?

Rate this topic

Snax

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Matt. The laptop mic unfortunately does alter the true sound of my recordings. I'm hoping that I'll suddenly have a revelation and understand what I "should" be doing when I sing any notes higher than the top of my chest range. If I can maintain that chesty tone as I go higher I'll be a VERY happy camper! lol

Dude, Dio is a vocal GOD to me! I met him and got to shake his hand at a truck stop on the way home from seeing my only rock concert ever in Toronto! We're the same height (5'5") and I've always aspired to sing with his power and feeling. His voice doesn't appear to have any bridges or awkward range. He just sounds like he has one bad -ass flexible chest voice no matter the pitch! THAT'S what I'm after!

hey snax,

yeah terminology thing is a little confusing. SS are calling it a heavy high mix but it would be more commonly known as head voice. personally now i think its weird for them to call it any kind of mix as, by that point in the range any kind of muscle that is involved in chest voice production in the larynx is not active as far as i know . but i think they call it that because of the resonance. i guess they think that there is still some chest voice resonance present in the sound so they call it a mix. I.E. a mix of head voice and chest voice resonance. i really dont know if that is the case though. any heavier more chest like quality present may just be coming from there being stronger adduction on the vocal folds and a longer closed period during the cycle whilst also creating/insuring a strong "ring" or as some would say "twang" to the sound.

as for your vid, i think your pretty close. i think that it wouldnt take very much for you to be able to "press" into the sound more to get a bit more powerful sound. try leaning into /against or pushing a wall with your arms out in front of you as you do it (without the elbows locked). this can sometimes help to create a more compressed air flow under the vocal folds and also help with getting stronger fold adduction.

in terms of what you should feel, it should feel pretty easy. you might feel the compression of air and the extra adduction on the folds (thats why he says he feels an extra squeeze) but it is NOT tension. its not a strain or a clamping kind of feeling. you say you felt some activity, by the looks of where you put you hand, under the chin. if you put your thumb or finger under the chin (under where the tongue lays) and talk the muscle there doesnt feel rock hard. as you sing that muscle there should feel very similar in terms of how untensed it is. it shouldnt feel rock hard. the feeling might change a little as you make different vowels and consonants and such but it should not be rock hard.

yeah, I managed to sneak along with a reporter friend and interviewed him once. He's my vocal hero too. He was quite insulted though, when I said I thought I could hear Elvis influences in his voice. Slightly huffily, he said that he never thought Elvis had much control of his voice...anyway, he manages to get his head to sound like a full on chest voice...

Dio 5´5"! he looks more like 5´ nothing :lol:

maybe im wrong and im sure techniques like CVT and Estill would say i am but i tend to think that some voices are just naturally bigger sounding than others and are better off making the best of what there are rather than pushing for a quality that isnt really theirs. thats why the opera/classical word has so many different voice categories. a lyric tenor doesnt sing dramatic tenor parts because his voice just naturallydoesnt do dramatic tenor well because of his physiology. im sure he could learn to do some dramatic parts but ultimately its gonna be more work and effort for him to get that same quality compared to the dramatic tenor that just does it easily/naturally. im sure Dio could learn to play basketball very well but the 7" players are going to have a natural advantage. dont get me wrong, im sure all voices can learn to do big sounds and small sounds etc its just that those big sounds are gonna sound very different on some voices than others.

Actually, this "heavy mix" has NOTHING to do with Overdrive in CVT. It sounds like Metal-Like-Neutral or at maximum it is a light Curbing.

Snax, I know these terms probably sound alien to you LOL. But here is two examples. The first is pure Curbing and the second is Curbing and Overdrive! (the top note is also a C#5 like you did) :

Pure Curbing:

http://www.box.net/shared/u49zbjjhcb

Curbing and Overdrive:

http://www.box.net/shared/5lm7i2svsr

--And a bonus ;)

Curbing and Overdrive WITH distortion (Dio actually uses that a lot) :

http://www.box.net/shared/srpnaf3h7z

Can you hear the difference between the clips? :)

yes Martin, at least someone give some examples of those curious CVT terminology!

In CVT for the third example, can you do less vibrato, or is it the way it's taught to get the distortion mode?

Really interresting

And Snax, just love your voice, seems you can do so much things with ease ;-)

Hey Martin,

There's those powerful pipes of yours again! Can you imagine the two of us singing a metal song together? The mixer's pre -amps would explode!

I'd also like to hear you sing the third version without the added vibrato or stylistic embellishments. It would make it easier to hear the tonal differences if the melodies and style were equal on each take. I love your voice though. You ROCK!!!

Jesus Martin! LOVE the distorted screams! I used to be able to do those but somehow I have forgotten how I did it! I was probably just pushing with everything I had which is not how I want to go about doing it now. I'm super interested in knowing how to do those "safely" without clenching my throat up and muscling them out. Where do you feel or produce the distortion?

Off topic,

will my head tone sound thin or weak if my sinuses are stuffed up? I work in the basement of my house and I'm always stuffed up. Perhaps my head voice will resonate better if I get that sorted out. Between my oversized tonsils and constant stuffed nose it's a wonder I can TALK let alone sing! lol

Snax,

Actually I know this is a little academic but it needs to be at first...sorry

I define "distortion" in two ways (CVT) :

You have the "rough" one (added vibration of the false folds)

The "lighter" version (i-regular vibration of the true vocal folds)

It's up to you what you prefer! You can choose one or the other or you can combine them :)

PS. I know this may seem alien to you...but this is actually how you can define "noise" - "distortion". :)

DUDE, you just helped me find my distortion again!!! YESSSSSSSSSS! I remember the feeling of when I'd do it without that push and something you said clicked! Maybe my distortion came from the false folds because that seems to be where I can sense the vibrations. I haven't tried doing it on a super high scream because i'm not warmed up but I can get it doing my lower Rob Halford type voice.

Snax,

Yes that's distortion (the normal rough one).

About you not getting higher with this is your "underlying" foundation (mode). Effects like distortion is added to the mode (function) but if that mode is not correct it's like adding topings on a cake that really can't stand tall! (does that make sense lol).

Sounds good to me! So now I need to learn these different "modes". AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! lol

Check out this latest clip and listen for the last part where I descend from a high note to a lower note while remaining (I think) connected.

I ramble a little but that's normal for me! lol

http://gallery.me.com/muskysnax/100024

Actually, this "heavy mix" has NOTHING to do with Overdrive in CVT. It sounds like Metal-Like-Neutral or at maximum it is a light Curbing

Martin you take everything so aggressively. im sorry if i didnt convey it very well but what i meant was that Matt and snax love Dio. as Dio tends to use a more "overdrive" sound (as compared to the more curbing like sound in the SS video) i thought they would find overdive helpful and you would be the man to show them.