Peculiar Falsetto Dilemma

Rate this topic

Matt

I seem to have lost my falsetto? Its quite peculiar and I'm sure its not a healthy sign. I can siren fairly well and relaxed up to a B roughly, though I have to concentrate to keep everything relaxed while doing it. Which coincidentally has now become my highest falsetto note too. Now, Ive never measured how high my falsetto goes, because Ive always thought of falsetto as a fairly ugly instrument, but Im sure I must have been screeching away at E's to Child In Time as a kid.

I practise too seldom, but maybe 2 days a week I try to do 40 minutes of vocalising. Very little singing.

Main exercises:

*I do a lot of sirens making sure they're relaxed all the way - if I feel I start to tense up the throat, these days I drop it, breath calmly and then glide up again at speaking level all the way.

*I do some lip trills, a lot of cackling, a lot of speaking sentences all through my range. Quite a bit of trying to sing the easiest sound I can sing in my most comfortable range, to get as crystal clear note a note and well closed and relaxed throat as I can possibly do, to get the throat used to working that way, sometimes ascending or sirening it, but often just letting it ring out till the breath is gone.

Should I be worried?

I seem to have lost my falsetto? Its quite peculiar and I'm sure its not a healthy sign. I can siren fairly well and relaxed up to a B roughly...Should I be worried?

Matt: Can we assume you mean the B almost 1 octave above middle C? :-)

If the the note you have in mind is 1 octave even higher than that, That would be plenty high for any falsetto.

If we are discussing the one about an octave above mid c, then there can be some very logical reasons, and also some things you can do about it.

The first thing to consider is that you may have some swelling or edema (accumulation of fluid) in the vocal bands due to a mild throat infection (or other irritation), too much loud talking during the day, persistent sinus drainage, or reflux. IMO, one or more of these are more likely to be the case if you feel like your entire voice has shifted downward, as evidenced by an ability to sing notes lower in your range, with power, than formerly.

If you can check those off as not being the case, then you may have reached an important milestone, a phase in your singing development where your vocal production is habitually coordinated... the muscles working (as we all discuss as a goal) without a register break. All your siren work has brought you to this. :-)

Unless you really _want_ falsetto to be part of your singing chops, its not really necessary to have it for vocal development. I know some tenors that never had one at all their entire life, and sing quite well, thankyou.

So, if you want a falsetto, just to have it, you need to remember what causes it. Falsetto happens in the mid-to-upper voice when adduction is insufficiently firm for the breath energy, and/or when you phonate without any TA involvement. Both of these modes of phonation are fairly easily begun in the lower voice, simply by allowing the tone to be non-characteristically breathy and kind of a hooty oo, or ee. Start down low, with a sense that you are not managing the air... the sound somewhat like blowing across the top of a bottle. Then, do a slow siren, maintaining breathiness, and throat relaxation.

One caution... this kind of phonation will dry the vocal process pretty rapidly. So, swallow frequently, and have some water handy.

Well, Im gonna hope for your second alternative :P

Actually, I think it might be related to that. I think since I avoid my falsetto like the plague (I really don't want, need or like the sound of falsetto), and since every time I fall into falsetto I try to get out of it, my throat isn't really used to falsetto anymore.