Songs fo practice?

Rate this topic

joshual

Hi there,

just wanted to know if you guys had a list of songs to practice (rock-soul-oriented).

It could be cool to set a list with different difficulties, and sort the list depending on the skills it requires.

I just don't know what to pratice lol. Now i practise on:

-Stoned by Richie Kotzen ( would love to hear some guyz hear singing it ;) )

-This boy by James Morrison

-Black Hole Sun by Chris Cornell

-One by U2

You could expand this list and tell me what you are singing, it would be great.

Once again sorry for language...

See you soon

hey guy, great question..here's moi doing black hole sun...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3yh01k

i tend to gravitate towards tough, powerful, "you screwed me over" "live sucks" songs (lol)

i'm presently working on these:

urgent - foreigner (tough with a capital "t" to get that Lou Gramm punchy srceamy blusey sound song filled with consonants)

that was yesterday - foreigner (man, a workout to be sure)

journey - tochin' lovin' sqeezin' (make sure you are seriously warmed up (lol)

adagio - lara fabian version (a work in progress, i love her vocals)

broken wing (martina mcbride, the "female Lou Gramm"...a vocal powerhouse, male version, much lower key)

queen - show must go on (love freddie mercury, two 1/2 steps lower mercury was balls and grace!! learned mercury recorded some of his in a higher key than was sung live)

queen - kind of magic (same key practice, practise)

kyrie elaison - Mr. Mister (that first held note "kyyeeeeeeeeee" is a bitch, followed by a key change towards the end.)

billie jean - chris cornell version (another "idol"....all feeling and polished screams.)

survivor - eye of the tiger (trying to improve consistency of hitting the famous high note.)

jackie wilson - you're love keeps lifting me (learned one thing..if you don't have your breath supported and an open throat...you're dead (lol)

lulu - to sir with love (my own male version...needs work.)

marvin gaye - sexual healing (much harder than i thought)

• 2 years later...

Bruno Mars - Count on me - probably the easiest song in the world and the one I'm doing first - C Major

Backstreet Boys - As Long as You Love Me - C Major

Janet Jackson - Together Again - not easy and the chords are complicated(7th, 9th, and 13th chords) - C Major

Fiona Apple - Shadowboxer - dark and melodramatic - C Major

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - G Major

Actually some of these songs might be Minor. I only looked at the key signature.

Btw, musicnotes.com is an awesome site for buying digital sheet music for contemporary music.

I have all my songs in a binder and they are sorted by the number of sharps or flats in the key signature (c major, sharp keys, flat keys). You'll quickly realize that songs with the same key use the same chords very often.

I've mentioned in other threads my set list. My set is 5 or 6 six songs I can whip out at a moment's notice and sing, usually while playing a guitar, either my own or borrowing someone else's. Such as one time, camping with friends and I didn't bring a guitar but someone else did and I could borrow it.

But I have several songs and rotate some in and out but there are a central few that are always in my set.

"Highway to Hell" - AC/DC

"Long Way to the Top" - AC/DC

"Stairway To Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

"Down Under" - Men at Work

"Brandy" - Looking Glass

"Come Sail Away" - Styx

"Heaven and Hell" - Black Sabbath

"Holy Diver" - Ronnie James Dio ( I play that in Cm, for those who play guitar)

"Peace, Love, and Understanding" (as performed by Elvis Costello, though it was written by Nick Lowe.)

"Jesus just left Chicago" - ZZ Top

"Dust in the Wind" - Kansas

"Sweet Child of Mine" - Guns and Roses (though I have not rotated that in the past year.)

"Whiskey in the Jar" - based on the original version by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners (though I liked the later versions by Thin Lizzy and Metallica)

Songs not in regular rotation that would take me a few trial runs to get back into:

The Led Zeppelin catalog up through "Houses of the Holy." Of those,

"The Rain Song" (my favorite to play)

"Ramble On"

"Black Dog"

"The Immigrant Song"

"Born to Be Wild" - Steppenwolf

"The Pusher" - recorded by Steppenwolf but written by Hoyt Axton. (Trivia, "Pusher" is the first song in the movie "Easy Rider," not "Born to be Wild."

"She Loves You" - the Beatles

"Hard Day's Night" - the Beatles

"Cat Scratch Fever" - Ted Nugent

"Snakeskin Cowboy" - Ted Nugent

"The Cowboy Song" - Thin Lizzy

"Barracuda" - Heart

"Dog and Butterfly" - Heart

"2112 Overture" - Rush

"Priests of Syrinx" - Rush

(I learned how to play those by watching my friend, Joe, who played them on bass. He couldn't read music but he had a perfect ear. And I had good vision and could see what he was playing from my reversed position.)

"Walk this way" - Aerosmith

"Dream On" - Aerosmith

"Gethsemane" - Jesus Christ, Superstar

"Heaven on their Minds" - Jesus Christ, Superstar

(actually, I used to sing the whole soundtrack except for the bass parts, though I tried.)

"Wish you were here" - Pink Floyd

I've got more but that's enough to list for now, I think.

Of the 5 or 6 I might keep in regular rotation as part of staying in shape for singing whole songs, not just vocalises, whatever, the one song that always stays in the set is "Highway to Hell." It's my theme song. I don't care if I don't sound like Scott or Johnson. It's my song and I will sing it and no amount of "tough love" is going to stop me. :P