Let's hear those chest voices now!

Rate this topic

Snax

We've all been posting lately showing our ability to sing high notes with power so I think it would be fun to hear our chest voices too. Here's me goofing around singing in my natural chest voice. As you will hear I have a large ,deep tone for a guy who's only 5'5" tall! I'm small but I do have a rather large noggin (lol) and a pretty large muscled chest which I assume is what gives me the fullness?

http://gallery.me.com/muskysnax/100045

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all been posting lately showing our ability to sing high notes with power so I think it would be fun to hear our chest voices too. Here's me goofing around singing in my natural chest voice. As you will hear I have a large ,deep tone for a guy who's only 5'5" tall! I'm small but I do have a rather large noggin (lol) and a pretty large muscled chest which I assume is what gives me the fullness?

Snax: While there is some corelation between overall height and vocal range, the 'deep tone' strength of the 'chest voice' comes more from firm phonation and amplitude of the lower harmonics. When the vocal tract is long and broad (as often happens with folks with long necks, and/or large heads, and especially when singing with a low larynx), the frequency of the vowel resonances will be measurably lower, and will reinforce the powerful low harmonics of the phonated tone. These strong, lower resonances are more likely to be felt as sympathetic vibrations in the chest, but are independent of the chest size.

I'll post some of my own lower voice sounds over the week-end.

Thanks for the information Steve!

VideoHere, I'm also curious as to my vocals during the higher portion of the song.

On another note I have an appointment to see an ENT about having my tonsils removed or reduced which is quite exciting for me. I've never had that unrestricted airway and I'm certain that it will only enhance my voice after I've healed up.

Perhaps some singers do have a more flexible chest voice that they can sing in up to where they will then bridge into head voice. I feel like my chest range is somewhat less than what many singers have and I need to strain more than most on those notes that approach most male singer's first bridge. I could be completely wrong of coarse but that's the way I've always felt. I'm sure I would be able to find out easily enough if I tried to sing along with another singer and see when they start to feel the strain vs where I do. I'll almost guarantee that I feel throat strain before most of you would. Could my huge tonsils and adenoids be the cause of that premature (to me) strained feeling?

OH MY LORD you guys HAVE to listen to THIS guy sing!!! It's a little Korean chap singing (While seated no less!) along with a backing track of a song by Steelheart. Listen to the entire song and I bet your jaws will drop! He hits a few off key notes but the guys tone and range are incredible! This guy has the voice I wish I was born with!

Prepare to be impressed...

What voice mode does does Coverdale use on the opening few bars of this song? It sounds so thick and husky!

I'd LOVE to hear Martin sing the intro to this!!!

Sounds like Overdrive and Curbing with distortion and probably also some creaking. :)

And would like to be able to sing it to. ;)

Martin....AGREED :P

Without going into details( ;) )...I've studied under someone who can sing "big as a house" with all kinds of crazy distortion...is EXACTLY the kind of sound I want to make.

This may be one of those things that take some serious time to build up to...meaning you are singing in some seriously GRAY areas with very specific vocal tract configuration. And a MOUNTAIN of support!

Ah...some day :)

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who can't match that kind of sound then. I figured it was just me not having good technique but it seems that he is really pushing the limits of what a voice can do.

About the Whitesnake number, I tried just for fun a little ad-lib without words:

http://www.box.net/shared/29eestzem6

http://www.box.net/shared/on04uu6l78

Be gentle on me ;)

Dude, that was sweet! Love that full raspy tone! That's what I'm trying to be able to do besides just the bridging and singing in and around my passagio. I love voices like that!

Funny how this thread which is about "chest voices" ( Let's hear those chest voices now!) Turns into the song by Steelheart (also posted by the thread's starter, Snax) which is high (screaming) notes again...;)

I guess this prooves a point that most people want high notes! (the so called high-range chasers). ;)

Funny how this thread which is about "chest voices" ( Let's hear those chest voices now!) Turns into the song by Steelheart (also posted by the thread's starter, Snax) which is high (screaming) notes again...;)

I guess this prooves a point that most people want high notes! (the so called high-range chasers). ;)

Ha,ha,ha! Guilty as charged! :lol: